Programming a target

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
Byemi

Programming a target

Post by Byemi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Please, someone help me. I am trying to program a target (atmega328p). First I tried to burn a hex file on a arduino board using the ICSP protocol but no luck, by using the avr studio4 (With a built-in USB to serial converter) and Sinaprog in both modes (HID mode and With a built-in USB to serial converter ). The error that shows me is this : error programming mode .. Failed. The oscillator i used for the target (atmega328p) is 16 Mhz. Is there a big problem by using this crystal ? Although i unmounted the atmega328p from the Arduino board and tried as well to program it, and still no luck (same error). The programmer and the firmware got it from this site : http://www.rototron.info/?Page=USBAVR/USBAVR.aspx. Do i need another crystal for the target , do I need another firmware for my programmer ? If anyone has a solution please help me, because I need very much an answer...
Best regards Emi

Byemi

Re: Programming a target

Post by Byemi » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Can't understand.This is my second topic and no one is giving me an answer. I understand that anyone doesn't have the correct answer, however did your avr-doper programmers did work ? give me please a link with the perfect programmer (for avr target from atmel series) and firmware for that programmer, as well a software you recommend to program with (like avr studio for example). Best reagards

blargg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by blargg » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 am

I've used the LC Technology USBASP V2.0 for almost everything and it's worked very well. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and use avrdude as the host software. I have a handful of these as they are great for putting projects on as well, since they have all the hardware needed for V-USB. Get two and use one to program USBaspLoader onto the other and then you don't even need a second programmer. You've got 6 I/O lines on the end connector which is enough for small projects. I've gotten them from three sellers so far on eBay for about $3 each (including shipping).

matrix storm

Post by matrix storm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:12 am

If you like to build your own USBasp: http://matrixstorm.com/avr/tinyusbboard/

Althought it is a universal learning- and development board, there is an example firmware turining the board into an USBasp programmer available.
This firmware was revised recently. Now it also provides an 4MHz rectangular clock with 50% dutycycle.

BR