VID PID Licensing from V-USB

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
hemc

VID PID Licensing from V-USB

Post by hemc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi,

this is a question to the V-USB team.

How is it possible for you to give every user a VID/PID pair licensed exclusively to the buyer in each of your licenses (Hobby License,Entry Level License.Professional License) ?

Because the Vendor ID agreement from usb.org clearly says, that it isnt allowed to share or resell any vids/pids.

->:
The company set forth above hereby applies for a USB Vendor ID Number and agrees to the following: The USB Implementers Forum is the authority which assigns and maintains all USB Vendor ID Numbers. Each Vendor ID Number is assigned to one company for its sole and exclusive use, along with associated Product ID Numbers. They may not be sold, transferred, or used by others, directly or indirectly, except in special circumstances, and then only upon prior written approval by USB-IF. Unauthorized use of assigned or unassigned USB Vendor ID Numbers and associated Product ID Numbers are strictly prohibited.

see (http://www.usb.org/developers/vendor/VI ... 010113.pdf)

It would be nice if you can clear this up for me, because when i byu a license from you, then i dont want to be sued by usb.org.

xiangrui
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: VID PID Licensing from V-USB

Post by xiangrui » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:47 pm

I think this is due to historical reason. They enforce the policy you quoted after they found the problem. I think they can't apply those policy to previous users, since that was not part of the agreement when they sold it. Please correct me if I am wrong.