questions on AVR doper

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
iphi
Rank 2
Rank 2

questions on AVR doper

Post by iphi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi,

I have successfully built up AVR doper and it works very nicely in HVSP mode so far from within AVR Studio in COM mode.

Being a newcomer to AVRs I have a few maybe stupid questions:

1. I have noticed that different com port numbers are assigned depending on which USB port of my PC is used. In contrast to Windows, AVR Studio does not recognize the device on all USB ports. It seems if the com port number is >=6, AVR Studio won't recognize the device. Could that be the case or is there another problem possibly caused by the hub which is used for the non working USB slots?

2. Basically, I do understand what the AVR doper hardware is doing. I am wondering, though, what pins 8 and 10 of ISP connector SV1 are used for.

3. Can AVR doper be used for in system debugging?

4. AVR Studio is warning that the STK500 firmware is not up to date and that it would like to update it. How can I update AVR doper to the latest state?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 pm

ad (1): I don't know AVR-Studio very well, but it might scan only to a maximum port number. Auto-detection takes some time to complete for each port and it may be unacceptable to scan for more than 6 ports.

ad (2): These SHOULD be ground. However, since the signal rate allows a lower number of ground pins, I usually make the target AVR's RxD and TxD pins available there. AVR-Doper can read the data from the target's TxD for debugging purposes. See avrdebug for details.

ad (3): No. You need JTAG or debugWire support for that.

ad (4): Since this is not Atmel's firmware, AVR-Studio can't upgrade it. You can modify AVR-Doper's firmware, though, to return the version number(s) expected by AVR-Studio.

Zex

Post by Zex » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:47 pm

I was have same problem with port number assignments.
First, reason for this is missing serial number into device (AVR Dopper or AVRCDC). If you do not want to have this problem just type some serial number into usbconfig.h in this section:

#define USB_CFG_SERIAL_NUMBER 0x01, 0x02, 0x03, 0x04
#define USB_CFG_SERIAL_NUMBER_LEN 4

This sections are inactive in the original code.

Second, to reset port number enumeration do this steps:

- remove your usb/serial adapter
- start regedit.exe
- find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\COM Name Arbiter
- in this key modify ComDB entry - all non-zero data overwrite with zeros
- close regedit.exe
- restart windows
- insert usb/serial adapter
NOTE: on some machines after this 'reset' my AVRCDC have same number like my onboard modem (COM3). In this situation re-plug it in the other USB port.

Grendel
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Grendel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:05 pm

The serial number is a string, better define it as

#define USB_CFG_SERIAL_NUMBER '1', '2', '3', '4'
#define USB_CFG_SERIAL_NUMBER_LEN 4

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Zex,

I have tried what you suggested with no success. Still the device will not be detected by AVR Studio, when plugged into the external hub. Com numbers are still >=6 in that case.

Tom