V-USB CDC-ACM stuck with usbInterruptIsReady() = 0

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
martinay

V-USB CDC-ACM stuck with usbInterruptIsReady() = 0

Post by martinay » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to implement a CDC-ACM (CDC-232) using V-USB on a small atmega328p board. I've wrote my code inspired by cdc232.2011-06-24 archive from http://www.recursion.jp/avrcdc/.
It works fine in one direction but not in the other ! :-(
From gtkterm, I can send characters to the atmega328, and it is receiving it properly in the usbFunctionWriteOut() function.
The reverse direction is not working : as soon that one character is send to PC thru usbSetInterrupt() call in the uartPoll() function, the usbInterruptIsReady() funtion returns 0 forever blocking any further transmission to usbSetInterrupt().
To make sure it is not my own code that had something wrong, I've compiled the original cdc232.2011-06-24 archive, only changing the target CPU and the F_CPU, and I figured out it is behaving exactly the same way. :-(
Notice that the receive pipe still working fine while the transmit is blocked.

Any idea ?

blargg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: V-USB CDC-ACM stuck with usbInterruptIsReady() = 0

Post by blargg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

I used that version successfully on an atmega8 at 12MHz (reprogrammed a USBasp). I notice that I switched to the most current usbdrv, not sure if that was necessary.

I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 and I used something like this to test, with the device's TX and RX connected together for a loopback test:

Code: Select all

# Configure serial
stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 sane
stty -F /dev/ttyACM0 raw 57600 cs8 -crtscts -cstopb -parenb -echo

# Capture output in background then send test message
cat </dev/ttyACM0 >capture &
echo "test" >/dev/ttyACM0

# Stop capture and examine result
kill $!
cat capture

martinay

Post by martinay » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi blargg,
Glad to see your feedback that it is suppose to work. I presume you didn't have to do any changes to the original package ?
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me. :-( (I'm running 12.04 too, so it should not be a driver issue.)
I've ran your test script, AVR is receiving string properly but capture is still empty. :-(
I've even try changing the crystal from 16MHz to 12MHz to make sure the problem wasn't related to clock accuracy.
Then, I've done some debugging with "usbmon" and "wireshark" : I can see 16x "UBR_INTERRUPT in" been send when I'm launching gtkterm and been replied 16 times by the AVR with "URB status: Broken pipe (-EPIPE) (-32)". (running the test script is also doing the same returns, although not in the same packet order)
I've added a USB_RX_USER_HOOK to figure out that interrupts are calling usbProcessRx only for SETUP and DATA packets.
I've tried to dig into assembly code, but I'm a bit lot : I can't figure out where the -EPIPE error comes from and why, I didn't found a place where a reply packet have such status.

martinay

Post by martinay » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 am

Hi,

I've found this thread ... :(

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1030

Is this still true that we have to recompile Linux kernel driver to make CDC-ACM working fine even after more than 5 years ?