License Clarification and Digispark

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
mrmox

License Clarification and Digispark

Post by mrmox » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:47 pm

I am surprised that I do not find Digispark with a search of your forums, so I hope I can ask some questions to clarify in case I misunderstand the relationship.

1. If I derive a product from Digispark for commercial sale that uses the Digispark USB, do I need to enter into one of the licenses you sell for V-USB?

2. I understand about the USB certification not being possible in general with V-Usb for electrical reasons, but is your allocation of USB VIP/PIDs to other entities allowed (or at least, in your experience tolerated) by the USB Implementers Forum Inc?

3. If I should have been able to find these answers elsewhere, where did I miss looking?

Thanks!

- mrmox

blargg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: License Clarification and Digispark

Post by blargg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 am

The licensing page is probably the place to go. Look at the source code to see whatever you're using V-USB. If usbdrv/ is in there, you almost certainly need to follow the licensing terms above. Note that the GPL doesn't prevent you from selling a product commercially as long as you make the full source code available.