V-USB & PS/2 convertors

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
jamesheath

V-USB & PS/2 convertors

Post by jamesheath » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi,

I'm successfully using V-USB from an Arduino, and it works fantastically - simply flawless.

I'd now like to be able to hook up my project to an old school PS/2 port. I know that I could start again & work directly in serial, but I have a USB to PS/2 converter lying around so that ought to work...

It doesn't. I tried plugging up the converter (one for a keyboard, not a mouse), and re-booting the PC, but no luck. I then tried with a standard USB keyboard instead of my V-USB project, and that worked fine, so the PC (running Win 7) & the adapter are OK.

Given that V-USB looks just like a HID keyboard to the PC, I would have thought it would work - any one out there know why it doesn't? or even better, has anyone managed to use a V-USB device through a PS/2 adapter?

Thanks in advance,

James
Manchester, UK

maxi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: V-USB & PS/2 convertors

Post by maxi » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:04 pm

IIRC USB-PS/2 adapters don't really convert USB to Serial just that most USB keyboards are backwards compatible with PS/2. If you want to connect to a PS/2 port then you're far better off using the hardware USART present on most AVR's

jamesheath

Re: V-USB & PS/2 convertors

Post by jamesheath » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Thanks - I get now - the 'converter' isn't doing the work - it's the USB keyboard that's doing the work - it's not just a pure HID - it speaks PS/2 as well - thanks for the help.

James