Possible to use V-USB as a Host

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
Faralla

Possible to use V-USB as a Host

Post by Faralla » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi,

is it possible to use V-USB as a USB Host for a HID Device?
That is, I want to connect a gamepad to an AVR and trigger something with the buttons.

If possible, are there any examples?

Thanks,
Faralla

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Possible to use V-USB as a Host

Post by ulao » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I have kind of looked in to this, I wanted to take a gamepad and connect it to a avr, read the inputs and do some math and send it back out as a new usb packet.

Short answers is no, long answer is with a mega 328, you "may" have enough room to wring a usb decoder. V-USB its self certainly does not. If your just interested in one device ( gamepade HID ) you could eliminate a lot of over head. However your going to need to fully understand how the uisb protocol works to emulate the host.

Are you limited to a usb controller? I designed a device that takes any console controller and interacts with it. So for example a psx to usb. Using a non usb controller would be a lot easier to do. Name the controller and I promises I have software to interface with it.
http://bliss-box.net/

Faralla

Post by Faralla » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks for your answer. But implementing the whole protocol is way to much work for what I was planning to do.

My plan was to write something like a USB Proxy for PS3.
I have an USB Racing Wheel, which is unsupported by PS3. To I was thinking about building a converter box, which sends out a apid/vpid of a supported controller and tunnels the commands from the unsupported wheel.
But when thinking about it, I think i'll be going to buy a supported wheel.

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:34 pm

I was told the ps3 supports any Hid device. I'm sure there is a good HID racing wheel.

Alan Chatham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alan Chatham » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 am

You could also get all hardcore and re-wire the internals of your racing wheel into a new controller board that takes in data from the wheel, buttons, etc. and uses V-USB to send the data to the PS3. There are a number of projects (including mine!) that work as controllers for the PS3. You could even wire it all up in parallel to the existing PCB inside your wheel, and it would be dual-system!

Of course, that's pretty intense. But I would wager it's easier than writing V-USB-HOST at least...

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:51 pm

I would agree...

If the goal is personal that would suffice, but if its to be an add-on for (users/customers) then no so. However I'm sure there are other wheels you could just implements instead. The dreamCast protocol for example is understood and I it has a wheel.