getting start with V-USB

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
Khaled

getting start with V-USB

Post by Khaled » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Hi
I need to use V-USB to communicate ATMEGA16 chip with USB port. Before I get start with V-USB I have some initial questions:
1. Does V-USB support USB2 protocol ??
2. I used to work with CodeVision compiler. Can CodeVision compile V-USB or it will be problems with that???
3. Is there a simple software could be used to test the communication between PC and microcontroller , just sending letters or numbers from PC to microcontroller and vice versa ???
Thank you

CaCO3

Re: getting start with V-USB

Post by CaCO3 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Khaled wrote:Hi
I need to use V-USB to communicate ATMEGA16 chip with USB port. Before I get start with V-USB I have some initial questions:
1. Does V-USB support USB2 protocol ??
2. I used to work with CodeVision compiler. Can CodeVision compile V-USB or it will be problems with that???
3. Is there a simple software could be used to test the communication between PC and microcontroller , just sending letters or numbers from PC to microcontroller and vice versa ???
Thank you

1. The feature list sais:
Fully USB 1.1 compliant low-speed device

So I don't think it works with USB 2. Also you might have a timing issue for that.

2. AFAIK it should work with any C compiler.

3. When you download the package (http://www.obdev.at/products/vusb/download-de.html), you will find many useful examples, working in both directions.

Khaled

Post by Khaled » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am

Thank you for replying

For point number 3, I was asking about a PC software that could be used for testiing the communication ( like "Hyper Terminal" which is used to test USART serial communication between PC and other devices) ??

Thank u....

CaCO3

Post by CaCO3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

The example projects always also have a example PC application if needed.
Beside of that there is usbtool, a general purpose command line utility which can send USB requests to arbitrary devices