HID Power Device for power strip

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
mojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

HID Power Device for power strip

Post by mojo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:26 am

I am attempting to make a USB controlled power strip, and wanted to make it a USB HID device (so no driver is required).

I have read the docs from USB.org but they are not all that clear as to exactly how the HID descriptor should look. There are examples for UPSs, but not for simple power strips.

The main goal is to have relay switched sockets, but I will probably add current measurement too.

I could not find any examples of such a descriptor on the web. Any help would be much appreciated...

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:09 pm

If you provide your own host software, you don't really need a precise description in the report descriptor. You don't want to explain the device to a third party's driver, after all, as it is the case for mice, keyboards and joysticks.

Please have a look at the Automator example. We transfer data in chunks of 128 bytes there using HID.

Another alternative is to use ANY valid HID descriptor and do data transfer with control transfers on endoint 0 using libusb. See the new wiki docs at http://avrusb.wikidot.com/

mojo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mojo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:50 pm

Looks like that's what I'll have to do then...