microcontroller host using V-USB

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
dardie

microcontroller host using V-USB

Post by dardie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 am

Hey, I have a project where an atmega8/16/32 or any microcontroller really, transfers data between two usb devices (in my case, pen drives). I do not want to use a host controller, that's done. I thought of implementing the usb protocol myself, but soon realized I may have overestimated my abilities :/

So can the V-USB be used for a microcontroller host ? If you guys have any alternative ideas, please let me know.

Thanks !

Coda

Re: microcontroller host using V-USB

Post by Coda » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 am

dardie wrote:Hey, I have a project where an atmega8/16/32 or any microcontroller really, transfers data between two usb devices (in my case, pen drives). I do not want to use a host controller, that's done. I thought of implementing the usb protocol myself, but soon realized I may have overestimated my abilities :/

Been there done that. I mean overestimating my abilities. The thing is, nothing would get invented if we weren't naive enough to try something impossible.

So can the V-USB be used for a microcontroller host ? If you guys have any alternative ideas, please let me know.

There are probably AVR, PIC, and ARM MCU's which have a built in USB Host (or OTG which is designed more for removal of the classic idea of Host/Device abstraction). I would take a look at some of the ARM Cortex MCUs that are starting to become available really cheap. Those which have the USB Host implemented in hardware could really simplify your task.