Zener diode suitability

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
roger

Zener diode suitability

Post by roger » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:31 pm

I have a couple 1N4729A 3.6V, 1W zener diodes. Will these work with a 20 MHz clock? I didn't even think about the low power requirement when I bought them.

Thanks,
Roger

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:37 am

Probably not. If you don't have the right zeners at hand, you may consider LEDs in series which have the same forward voltage drop as the zener would have.

roger

Post by roger » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks Christian, I got EasyLogger working with a ATTINY45 and some diodes I salvaged.

Tilex

Post by Tilex » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:55 am

can anyone take a look at the circuit of PowerSwitch? http://www.obdev.at/products/avrusb/powerswitch.html

I tried to change the circuit to run with red LEDs instead of Zeners.
I'm using an atmega8 controller running with 5V @ 16 Mhz (quarz).

Where do I have to place the LEDs to work in that circuit? Do I have to change the resistors from pull-up to pull-down and do I have to edit the code either?

thank you in advance,
bye

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:46 pm

You replace the zeners with LEDs, no other change is required. However, you must use so many LEDs in series that the (measured) forward voltage is ~ 3.3 V. The LEDs must be in reverse direction compared to the zeners, since zeners have their breakdown voltage in reverse direction.

Tilex

Post by Tilex » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:00 pm

finally :)

I've tested it with two red LEDs in series from DATA+ to GND and two LEDs from DATA- to GND. That works fine.

The other solution was the method showed on the circuit of the USB-AVR home page with two normal diodes in series to reduce the voltage of the whole circuit to ~3.6 V.
http://www.obdev.at/Images/avrusb/circuit-zoomed.gif

My device didn't work earlier, because my hex-file was broken :P

thank you,
bye.