Noob Help

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
duttydea

Noob Help

Post by duttydea » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi All,

I have a Metaboard v1.0 (Purchased from ebay) Its a 328p 16mhz version.

When i plug in the USB I get "USB Device not Recognized" on my Windows Vista.

Are there any instructions on how to burn the usbasp bootloader onto the chip? I have the Arduino IDE and would be great if i could use the IDE to burn the Bootlader.

Thanks in advance

Daid
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Noob Help

Post by Daid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm

If the chip is lacking a bootloader then you need an "In Circuit Programer" (ISP) to program the chip. This is an additional piece of hardware. There are many different versions from cheap to expensive.

However, I don't think people would sell this without the bootloader programmed. So it can be one of the following:
1) The special driver is missing for windows. See: http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
2) Your USB hardware (in your PC/Laptop) doesn't accept the low-speed USB Serial build in USBasp. Some new USB controllers do not accept this anymore. You could try a different older PC to see if it works there.

duttydea

Post by duttydea » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply!

I managed to reflash the bootloader using UsbTinyIsp and the config below, but now the Metaboard shows up as an "Unknown Device" and will not accept the drivers.

Code: Select all

nanode.name=Nanode w/ USB programming and ATmega328
nanode.upload.protocol=usbasp
nanode.upload.maximum_size=30720
nanode.upload.speed=19200
nanode.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
nanode.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
nanode.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
nanode.bootloader.path=USBaspLoader
nanode.bootloader.file=mega328p_16mhz.hex
nanode.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
nanode.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
nanode.build.mcu=atmega328p
nanode.build.f_cpu=16000000L
nanode.build.core=arduino
nanode.build.variant=standard
nanode.upload.disable_flushing=true

My UsbTinyIsp uses Libusb and shows up, could this be the reason why the usbasp will not work? maybe they conflict with eachother!!

EDIT:
I have just managed to install it on another XP computer (No USBTinyISP installed).

I Know it works, Now all i need to do is get it working on my development machine (Dell 1501 Vista basic) and on ubuntu (which says "Device descriptor error read/64, error -71)

Thanks

Daid
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Daid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm

duttydea wrote:I managed to reflash the bootloader using UsbTinyIsp and the config below, but now the Metaboard shows up as an "Unknown Device" and will not accept the drivers.

An unknown device even shows up when there is no software in the chip, just the pullup on the D- line causes your machine to see an USB device. So the most likely cause of an unknown device is no communication. As it's working on a different machine it's most likely electrical related. You could try a different USB cable.