V-USB on Atmel UC3 series ?

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
jcassidento_atmel

V-USB on Atmel UC3 series ?

Post by jcassidento_atmel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Has anyone tried to port this code to one of Atmel's AVR32-based UC3 devices, like the UC3C ?

I have run into an application that requires USB-FS Host (which the UC3C has), but it also requires a separate USB Device port that can be -LS due to the low data throughput requirements. The UC3C core also does not need to run at the full 66 MHz for the rest of the application, so one of the lower frequencies supported by the V-USB code (like 12 MHz or 18 MHz) would work fine. Also, power consumption is not a huge issue, so a software approach to USB-LS Device is acceptable.

It looks to me like only the lowest level bit-banging routines would need examination for use with the AVR32 instruction set, since the rest of the code is in C. I don't want to re-invent the wheel here, so please let me know if anyone has already tried this. Thanks,

- john

Daid
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: V-USB on Atmel UC3 series ?

Post by Daid » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:55 pm

jcassidento_atmel wrote:It looks to me like only the lowest level bit-banging routines would need examination for use with the AVR32 instruction set, since the rest of the code is in C. I don't want to re-invent the wheel here, so please let me know if anyone has already tried this. Thanks,
Most of the magic is in the low level routines. But with a 32bit processor you might even get a better implementation done. But it's not a simple job.