Windows 7 doesn't recognize HID-device

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
amelsfort

Windows 7 doesn't recognize HID-device

Post by amelsfort » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm

I am trying to create a HID-device and tried several examples from this and other sites. Windows does notice a device is connected, the LED on my board is also lit, but unfortunately Windows does not recognize the device as a Generic HID-device.

I am using Windows 7 x64, could that be a problem? I was in the assumption that the examples where the device was a HID-device should work in every Windows-version as it uses the Windows-drivers.

Could the voltage of the D+ or D- be a problem? What should these values be? I measured 2.9V on D- and 0V on D+. I'm using the design with the zener-diodes.

CRP

Re: Windows 7 doesn't recognize HID-device

Post by CRP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:52 pm

I noticed a similar issue on Mac OSX. Upon connecting the device, the OS would recognize it, but treat it as a generic device instead of as a HID joystick as I was expecting. This happened after I messed around with the reportDescriptor, and everything turned to normal once I restored the original descriptor.

amelsfort

Post by amelsfort » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:35 pm

I noticed that topic, but I didn't change anything in the examples, so that can't be the cause.

maxi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by maxi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 pm

I guess the first thing you need to do is ascertain whether the problem is with your OS or your hardware. If you are able, try out the device with a different OS. If you get hold of a live linux CD/Flash drive you could view the dmesg output, that may provide you with some more clues.