vibration questsion

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

vibration questsion

Post by ulao » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi I'm using a Raphael Assenat's avr-usb open source firmware. In short its a hid to console controller adapter. I'm making a few modification to it and wondered if anyone had any info on vibration or force feedback implementation via HID.

I read in a post in 2004 that HID did not support vibration and that some developers were using the force feedback driver to deliver the vibration. I was hoping in 08 that the HID has changed in some way or another. If so, my guess is that it would only before vista users.

Does object Dev support either of these?

Grendel
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Grendel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:32 am

It's all handled on top of the driver -- namely the PID class (Physical Interface Devices), an extension of the HID class. See Device Class Definition for PID 1.0.

This Document describes the USB Physical Interface Device or PID Class. The PID Class is intended as an extension of the Human Interface Device (HID) Class for devices that require “real-time” physical feedback. The main focus for the definition is for the use of haptic devices and the implementation of force feedback systems. However there is no requirement that members of this class generate this type of effect. Examples of devices that are member of this class are force feedback joysticks, motion platforms, and force feedback exoskeletons.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:33 pm

thx Grendel, would my guess be right that there is no vibration support in HID then?

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:57 pm

it just accrued to me that vibration is part of force feedback.