Atmega8535 OK / Atmega328p FAIL

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Atmega8535 OK / Atmega328p FAIL

Post by christian » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Yes, it's code plus data, so it should fit. If it still fails when flashed to 0 with TEST_MODE defined, you can try to debug it with debug output on TxD. There is no code size limit when you flash it to address 0.

On the other hand: Have you tried other bootloaders, e.g. USBaspLoader?

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm

huh, well I dont have avr dude but I tried to compile and run.

Guessing this would satisfy the check

#define bootLoaderCondition() (1)

as per the info
If a certain hardware condition is met (this condition can be configured, e.g. a jumper), the boot loader waits for data on the USB interface and loads it into the remaining part of the flash memory. If the condition is not met, control is passed to the loaded firmware.

I dont think the device is powering up. I dont see any new usb devices and dont see an unknown device. I'm just not failure with this loader. how can I wake it up? I had to change the usb pins in the config but still not having any luck. I also noticed they have the pull up define commented out, yet are using usb disconnect/connect. I'm not quite sure how that would work, so I set up the correct defines ( didnt help).

I also grabbed the latest bootloaderHid and I'm still having the same issues.

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by christian » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

usbConnect() and usbDisconnect() are emulated when no pull-up pin is defined. That's OK.

Then, let me summarize: You can run any of the example apps on the board, but none of the boot loaders, even if you load them as app (not into boot space).

That's rather strange, because the driver is the same in all cases. I would guess that it's something in the build environment...

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Well I could not even get the second boot loader to work. I still need to find a better test. I'm not sure why USBaspLoader wont do a thing for me? Does not do a thing on a 168 also, just sits there. Any others out there?

The avr studio project settings are just the defaults nothing fancy. I set up the right chip and right speed and really no more then that. Although it work for the 168 so I'm not clear on how it would discriminate between the 328.

I tested the code on a 168p and it worked, so its just the 328 that is the problem.

--- ok If I change the code in USBaspLoader I do get unrecognized device, if I unplug it and plug it back in I get nothing. As soon as I make any change to the code and re-burn I get unrecognized device. <-- If that made no sense then you understood it perfectly. Are there any boot loaders with a make file or project file?

See anything wrong here?

When I try the makefile I get
usbdrv/usbdrvasm.o:usbdrv/asmcommon.inc:170: undefined reference to `usbTxStatus1'

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Guessing Christian does not use avrStudio, as a setting changes was needed in the project settings. I stumbled on to it when I got curios and did a compile based on the makefile and the project settings. I then saw this.

-Wl,-section-start=.text=0x3800

but when compiling with makefile I saw

-Wl,--section-start=.text=7800

Then I though hmmmm.. maybe there is a place in the project setting for the address, and sure enough there is.

So what I set in the burn setting does not effect the build, I guess that makes sense... So thank you again Christian your thought was correct. 328p works just fine.