Android and V-USB

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
eslavko
Rank 1
Rank 1

Android and V-USB

Post by eslavko » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:06 pm

Hello....

Does someone tried to conect Android platform and V-USB? For example MP824 has big screen and just call to make some data loggers with that...

Slavko

eslavko
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Android and V-USB

Post by eslavko » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:03 am

Nobody answer?

I just seeking and find that near ALL Android device can comunicate with USB but as a slave. (For droid's above 3.1 can be host too)
So Is there some chance to make VUsb capable to be HOST for one cevice?
here is some details...

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748

Slavko.

maxi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by maxi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I really don't think it will ever be possible to use v-usb as usb host. This is the closest thing I have come across to a software usb host implementation.
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/ee476/FinalProjects/s2007/blh36_cdl28_dct23/blh36_cdl28_dct23/index.html
I wouldn't waste my time on it, either pick an mcu with built-in usb host support or use a dedicated host ic.

eslavko
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eslavko » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 am

I already found that.
And seems that host is possible. But the question is if it's android works with low speed.
About dedicated usb host controller. Normaly they are big. And to check just one voltage line the Attiny85 just works. (as slave, but if can work as host too that's great)

Gast_1281

Post by Gast_1281 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:37 pm

For quick test my ATmega128RFA1 is flashed with the mouse example (part of the V-USB package) and connected to my Android_4.0.3 tablet using a simple "USB-Host cable".
- The mouse activitiy (moves the cursor along a circle) is shown immediately on the screen (no root required, no driver installation :-)).
- The Android-app "USB Device Info (http://aschillings.co.uk/html/usb_device_info.html)" gives you about the same information as the USBview.exe on your PC.

wzcoder

Post by wzcoder » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Your information about android is precious, thanks...

Do you test mouse and keyboard simultaneously with only one device with V-USB ?

Thanks,

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:39 pm

The mouse demo was use just to check the ability of using V-USB / ATmega128RFA1 / SamsGal Tab10.1. and HID profile using reports for the data upload to the Android device. The upload speed of the microcontroller to the Android Tab is about 64kbit/sec netto (whith low speed USB 1.5MBit/sec brutto). Some web-sites indicate more speed but for my final goal it was more than sufficient.

With the cursor moving as expected no more actions on the mouse demo.

I moved over to my main goal ... an 2.4GHz ISM band scanner with spectrum view and waterfall diagramm. The main limitation in this context was the frame rate (FPS) of the Android. The large waterfall diagram moves most of screen down while the new spectrum scan (1pixel height) is added to the top. It took many iterations to end up with >30 FPS on the full screen 10 inch TAB display (iin veritcal direction).

The ATmega128RFA1 is configured to use the 16MHz crystal oscillator of the integrated 2.4Ghz transceiver as CPU clock. I tried in the meanwhile the successor ATmega256RFR2 ...works as exepected after a recompile (a must).

Btw. it's interesting to see comments 2 years after my last response :-) Just for my curiosity ... could you share some information about your intention?

Gast_1281

Post by Gast_1281 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:42 pm

nitpick ... Gast == Gast_1281 in the comment rigth above