USB HID emulator

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
AerosolSP

Streaming data to an xbox

Post by AerosolSP » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Hey guys. I asked on the arduino forums, and I was directed here.

I'm trying to control my Xbox from my PC through it's controller port. The controller ports on the Xbox are literally just USB1.1 with a fancy shape. I'm actually trying to emulate a specific controller, the Steel Battalion controller. I already know that it sends 25 bytes of data. What I want to do is simulate this same data from my PC's USB port to the controller port on the Xbox. I can't just connect the two together with an A-A cable (or an A-A network cable, cause it emulates an ethernet cable...if I'm wrong someone correct me).

What do you guys think is the best way to do this? I thought this might be a fair chunk simpler than your normal projects, so I'm excited to hear a response!

Aerosol

USB HID emulator

Post by Aerosol » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:37 am

I'm sorry. I was going to edit my original post but I can't! I thought I'd ask a bit more of a specific question, since my previous question was kind of vague, in the end!

I want hardware that emulates an HID device, such that when I send an input report to it with my PC, it forwards those commands to the target USB host, which thinks that it's receiving those commands from a legitimate HID device.

Bob

Re: Streaming data to an xbox

Post by Bob » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 am

You can not connect an Xbox to a PC via a USB cable as they are both hosts, you need a bridge interface circuit in between them.

AerosolSP

Re: USB HID emulator

Post by AerosolSP » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:26 pm

That's what I'm asking! How would I go about making the bridge interface?

Daid

Post by Daid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Sorry, but this isn't simple at all.

First off, you need to emulate a device you know almost nothing about. To communicate with the XBOX. This would be your first problem.
Secondly, you need to communicate with your PC. You could use USB for this, but this requires two V-USB stacks at the same time, which is impossible in a single AVR controller. So you'll need 2 controllers, or another way to get your data from PC to bridge.
Lastly, you all need to do this in the very limited environment that V-USB supplies.
And as a final word, I'm thinking you're not very experienced with all this. Have you programed a microcontroller before?

I suggest you start with step 1. Getting the XBOX controller emulated from V-USB, just connect a button to the microcontroller, add V-USB, and get the button to do something on the XBOX.

Aerosol

Post by Aerosol » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:33 am

I know all then HID information for the controller, including it's input report. The only information that I have that is a little sketchy is it's output report.

I did a bit of searching and found this: http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/20 ... r-for.html

It's literally almost exactly what I want to do, sans the autoplay and the target platform being the Xbox (USB1.1), not the PS2. This guy used a Teensy development board. Am I correct in assuming then I'd be better off using a Teensy? Like I said originally, the guys at the arduino board directed me here.

Cable Chimp

Post by Cable Chimp » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:32 pm

You can not connect an Xbox to a PC via a USB cable as they are both hosts

Here is more information about USB Cables http://www.freepressrelease.com/types-usb-connectors-cables/185796/

ulao
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ulao » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:24 am

If all you want is to use the xbox 1 controller on a pc just download the all so common drivers

http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd_install.html

Wire up the usb cable.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t ... apter.html

omagasohe

Post by omagasohe » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Not too hard in theory.
First is knowing exactly what the controler sends to the xbox.
then write a program that will mimic it.
once that works find a way to link your computer with that micro controler.

the execution is hard. Personally i'd just buy the controller and and if you just want to have a computer mash buttons, use an arduino and have it mash buttons. so much simpler. it wont look pretty, it might catch fire but it will mostly work.