Interact with MCU via serial terminal (1-chip)

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
SWHarden

Interact with MCU via serial terminal (1-chip)

Post by SWHarden » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:40 am

This is a simple question that I haven't seen specifically mentioned on the internet.

Can a microcontroller (i.e., ATMega48) connect to a PC USB port and appear as a standard serial port, such that you can pull up a serial terminal and communicate directly with THAT microcontroller? I'm NOT seeking a "chip in the middle" solution - a very simple bi-directional form of communication via USB is desired with a single micro-controller. Something that would allow me to turn LEDs on/off and read the value of a potentiometer through commands in HyperTerminal, for example - no custom PC side software. Surely this is possible, isn't it? Where should I investigate to accomplish this?

Thanks for your assistance!

PS: My hardware is set up and ready to go, the "hid-mouse" program works fine with ATMega48

dzairo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Interact with MCU via serial terminal (1-chip)

Post by dzairo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi.
If you want only connect device to USB and PC detect Serial port and then standard read write to serial port use http://www.recursion.jp/avrcdc/cdc-232.html but need install drivers in to WinXP with SP3.
then on function UartPool can add own function .