BootloadHID - device is not recognized

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
ps2chiper

Re: BootloadHID - device is not recognized

Post by ps2chiper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 pm

well the highest i have in the house today is 2k2. I will head out to the market and get some more variations.

ps2chiper

Post by ps2chiper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Well I tried that with no change. Any more suggestions? Isn't there a way in the source code to force it when it enters bootloader and not to exit it?
Last edited by ps2chiper on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by maxi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 pm

2k2 will be fine to test if that is indeed your problem. It is good practice to have one in any case.

ps2chiper

Post by ps2chiper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Do you have any other suggestions?

maxi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by maxi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 pm

There is something I don't get.
ps2chiper wrote:I got it working only when the reset pin is grounded. it wont got into bootloader mode and stay in bootloader mode

If the reset pin is grounded then surely no code can be running at all. The device enumerates when held in reset ???
ps2chiper wrote:Isn't there a way in the source code to force it when it enters bootloader and not to exit it?

Infinite loop? You should'nt really have to do that though, something else is not right but not having tried this project myself, It is very difficult for me to guess what that might be.

ps2chiper

Post by ps2chiper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:48 pm

for the most part bootloaderhid is working fine. You can load hexes and when you power cycle the device it will run the hex fine. The only problem is that you are supposed to hold the reset button down during a power cycle to enter bootloader mode. The only problem i have is as soon as I let go of reset it will exit the bootloader.

maxi
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by maxi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:02 pm

ps2chiper wrote:You can load hexes and when you power cycle the device it will run the hex fine.

Form what I can make of it that is all it is meant to do, what else are you expecting from 'bootloader mode'?
BootloadHID Readme wrote:WORKING WITH THE BOOT LOADER
============================
The boot loader is quite easy to use. Set the jumper (or whatever condition
you have configured) for boot loading on the target hardware, connect it to
the host computer and (if not bus powered) issue a Reset on the AVR.

The firmware can now be flashed with the "bootloadHID" tool. It accepts only
one parameter: an Intel-Hex file containing the code to be loaded.

This suggests there should be a jumper from PD3 to gnd, not a push-button, which when connected the device will enter the bootloader (and stay there) following a momentary reset.

Alan Chatham
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alan Chatham » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier - I'm using a modified version of BootloadHID in my project (OpenChord.org), and I'm using a push-button. I just use an infinite loop, since I don't want the bootloader to ever exit once you enter it. This way, you hold down the push-button when you plug it in, it shows up as BootloadHID, and you don't have to hold down the button. The "reset AVR" option in the BootloadHID program resets it just fine and it shows back up as whatever device I just flashed my circuit to be. If you had more than one button, you could of course replace the infinite loop with something that looks for that new button press to exit the bootloader, or you could include some sort of timer-based timeout probably.

Here's what my main.c for my bootloader looks like near the end:

Code: Select all

....Other Code.....

}while(1);//bootLoaderCondition());
               // Commented this out so when you reboot
               // the 'plus' pin held down, you don't
               // have to keep holding it down
    }
    leaveBootloader();

Hope it helps!

ps2chiper

Post by ps2chiper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 pm

I wish I found this earlier. It would of saved me a headache. Ironically I didn't find openchord, but dualstrike instead which did have that enter exit button. Here is my finalized pcb design and i am back to error -62. http://hotfile.com/dl/77065229/caba664/ ... m.zip.html. It comes down to not needing to use pd2/int0 at all. If anyone can help me out with this, I will compensate you.