Host Software for HID? Example code?

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
Jason Bourne of Computers

Host Software for HID? Example code?

Post by Jason Bourne of Computers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 am

Hello guys,

I would like to write a front end application on windows that basically has some configuration settings for my v-usb HID keyboard. This being that my HID keyboard has different color/pattern LED backlighting schemes and I would like the user to be able to select them from a windows app. (I may even have some fun and get it to sync to music or something, but that is for later). Does any one know of any good approaches or examples for this? I have not found anything via a search so I am asking in this thread. Thanks, and your help is very much appreciated!

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Host Software for HID? Example code?

Post by christian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:55 pm

There are two options: You can send custom requests to your device via libusb-win32 or you can send HID feature reports. Sending custom requests to endpoint 0 should always be possible, even if the device is connected to a class driver. Feature reports should also work, but I'm not a Windows expert so I don't know whether this is allowed.