Information on timings...

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
watz

Information on timings...

Post by watz » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:09 pm

Hi,

I have successfully set up my own USB device using an atmega8 and the latest avr-usb code. Only the 5V on the data lines made me some trouble, as the device would not work on 50% of the PCs I tried it on. Exchanging data with a Win32 user mode app using libusb works like a charm.

As I plan to additionally implement a software clock I wonder how critical the timings are in the various avr-usb parts. There doesn't seem to be much information on timings that have to be kept for avr-usb to work.

It seems to me that delays of up to 5 seconds in usbFunctionSetup() don't hurt at all. The libusb's usb_control_msg() call will simply block for that time.

However, would delays hurt in the main loop where usbPoll() is executed ?

How about an additional timer interrupt, would it interfere somehow with the usb hardware interrupt and mess up the timings there ?
(Is it necessary that the usb hardware interrupt is called as fast as possible or simply that this interrupt's code is accurate itself ?)

Thanks ,
watz
:D

watz

Re: Information on timings...

Post by watz » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:56 pm

Well RTFM I found more info in the usb header file. Thanks anyway !