V USB host for mass storage devices

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
bremenpl

V USB host for mass storage devices

Post by bremenpl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Hello there,
I was looking up the project page but i havent seen any containing the utility i am looking for. I am wondering is it possible to assemble an usb host for an external usb stick (like fat formatted) into an avr mcu without hardware usb.

Any help would be aprichiated.

declan smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: V USB host for mass storage devices

Post by declan smith » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:54 am

I am wondering is it possible to assemble an usb host for an external usb stick (like fat formatted) into an avr mcu without hardware usb.

I'm not sure about what your needs, but I think you'r trying to reinventing the wheel. :wink:

Hardware USB in AVR MCU was created to simplified the USB connection and communication (with provided library like "LUFA"), so you want to scratch build for all that? :shock:

The other simple way was using VNC1L - Vinculum USB Host Controller Device, but that's not cheap. :(

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 am

Its not that im trying to reinvent anything. Im just trying to find a way of assembling host usb utility to an avr mcu.

declan smith
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by declan smith » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:22 am

Im just trying to find a way of assembling host usb utility to an avr mcu

Try to use FTDI chip: VNC1L- Vinculum USB Host Controller Device or VNC2-Vinculum-II Programmable USB 2.0 Host

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/VNC2.htm

bremenpl

Post by bremenpl » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:41 am

Ill check it up, thank you :)

matrixstorm

Post by matrixstorm » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:40 pm

Hi.

I also thought about using VUSB to implement an USB mass storage device on an AVR.
The specific classes are called MSC - and they all utilize bulk-transfer mode.

Since VUSB can not provide bulk (only low-speed USB) and alternatively interrupt transfer is not always accepted by USB-hosts it is not possible to implement MSC on VUSB. Not without implementing a seperate driver for the host and using a complete other way of transfering data.

BR matrixstorm