Miniature Robot

Registered forum users can contribute their rating for projects based on V-USB in this forum.

Please rate Miniature Robot on a scale from 0 (worst) to 5 (best):

(0)
No votes
(1) *
No votes
(2) **
No votes
(3) ***
No votes
(4) ****
100%
(5) *****
No votes

Total votes: 1

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Miniature Robot

Postby christian » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:39 pm

Registered forum users can rate Miniature Robot in the poll above.

To comment on the project, reply to this topic.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:25 pm

Normally I would have rated it "5 stars", but the project title is a bit misleading. The topic isn't a "miniature robot" in the first place, but a well prepared hands-on training for a µC programming /using/ an AVR based miniature robot.

If you're not charged with preparing µC-labs, the most interesting thing maybe is the enhanced USBASP programmer, which serves for programming a target µC /and/ communicating with it (this is something Thomas Fischl mentioned as a future extension of USBASP). The FIFO buffered serial interface can be accessed trough a simple command line tool (serieViaUSB).

The documentation says that "for educational reasons" the transfer rate has been lowered to 2400 baud (maybe to make students experiment with the interesting effects of slow communication? :wink: ). Since there is USART polling in the USB main loop, and even a bit rate of 9600 baud can lead to overrun. If necessary this can be improvement by implementing some kind of handshake, or by using the SSI interface.

All in all a reason to brush up your French :-)

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby christian » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:47 pm

The project is somewhat hard to classify. I decided to put the focus on the robot because it looks more sexy than an improved version of USBasp :-)

Any suggestions for the short description, title and classification of the project are welcome!

gert
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby gert » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:34 pm

The project is indeed hard to classify.

The "HowTo-style" introduction started my interest in avr-usb, and this alone deserves 5 stars ;-) The fact that it's in French only makes it more valuable, since French µC resources are all but abundant.

On the other side I feel that 5 stars should be reserved for outstanding technical contributions (like avr-usb istelf (Henrik Haftmann's USB2LPT is a nice example).

/gert

Return to “V-USB Project Ratings”