Request: Application bandwidth throttle

General discussions about Little Snitch
stevenc317

Request: Application bandwidth throttle

Postby stevenc317 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:04 pm

At first glance this may seem as if it is not a feature one would consider as relevant to a Firewall Application such as LittleSnitch, but please hear me out.

Unfortunately where I live we are stuck in the 1990's when it comes to 'high-speed' (if that is what you call it) internet, the fastest I can obtain is 768kbps DSL--I get a better connection on my cell phone, but that is another story. What I am looking for is a feature in Little Snitch that would allow me to set a bandwidth cap (throttle) on a per application basis as well as a priority per application. Currently I can easily cap download speeds using Speed Download, but applications such as NetNewsWire (which I love) will happily usurp all my available bandwidth for 2-3 minutes when it refreshes my RSS feeds. The ability to have Little Snitch setup a throttle on NetNewsWire (and other apps) would be wonderful. This in conjunction with a priority based system, whereas I can set Firefox and Safari to have top priority, Mail.app to be next, then whatever bandwidth is left over may be used by any application. This would need to be dynamic in that I want the ability to launch Little Snitch Configuration and tell it... ignore my normal rules and make application X have all the bandwidth it wants (such as for a download that I want to complete now). Then once it is finished I can tell Little Snitch to return to my normal throttling rules.

I know what I am requesting can be setup via Terminal (I think via iptables, I could be wrong), but life is short and I rather not do that.

Also please feel free to place me on your beta list and I would love to test this feature out

thanks

Steven

stevenc317

Re: Request: Application bandwidth throttle

Postby stevenc317 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:23 pm

any one have any thoughts on this?

paulc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Postby paulc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Sounds to me like this should be something for a firewall to be able to do... doesn't really fit with the main purpose of LS, which is to manage outgoing connections.

Eriza

Postby Eriza » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm also in desperate need of a bandwidth shaper, and since little snitch has already a KEXT for monitoring application connections, it should be not too much work to integrate a bandwidth shaper (global up/down limit and per-app limits). Please consider integrating such a feature (or make a separate product), it would be sooooo awesome.

Danke!

sriedel

Postby sriedel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I am desperately looking for an application based throttling, too. For example, everytime I send out an email with some attachements, it's almost impossible to use the net in a productive way. Mail is hogging up all the upstream bandwith, and therefore the regular communication with all the other (web-)servers is no longer possible. Surfing becomes a pain, let alone working... By limiting Mail to e.g. 80% of the upstream limit, everthing was perfect. I just don't care if sending out a mail takes 4 or 5 minutes, but I *do* care if I can continue using my machine!

I think that Little Snitch could handle that (relatively) easily, so I decided to ask for it. I was just about to make a feature request on my own, but naturally, I was not the first to express that idea. So... BUMP! :mrgreen:

P.S.: There is another thread regarding that particular feature , just to show that "we" are not alone ;)

sriedel

Postby sriedel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:32 pm

No thoughts at all on this request? Devs, can you hear me?

alexhaj

Postby alexhaj » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:32 pm

I am a paying user and want this feature as well. Any news on it?

janthurau

Postby janthurau » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:41 pm

would love to have this feature as well!

alexhaj

Postby alexhaj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm

Do we not even get the dignity of a response. I want to be able to limit bandwidth instead of blocking it completely.

ben123

Postby ben123 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm

This is a very important request - can we get an answer? I am also a paying user and would like to have this

epo

Postby epo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:07 pm

I am a paying customer and this is mission creep, totally unrelated to LS's purpose which is to control the establishment of connections not the ongoing operation of those connections. If you want bandwidth shaping do it in your router.

Bad idea please ignore this request.

Return to “Little Snitch General”