Little Snitch is blocking FTP, I don't want that!

General discussions about Little Snitch
zzz2588

Little Snitch is blocking FTP, I don't want that!

Post by zzz2588 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 am

I have a FTP server running and it is accepting local connections. However, it will not accept connections from outside my network UNLESS I "Stop Network Filter". With the Network Filter off, I can connect using FTP.

I deleted all Rules pertaining to ftp and ftpd, even though they originally said "Allow Connections". My remote connection was still denied.

I unchecked every rule. My remote connection was still denied.

I have visually scanned every Rule looking for FTP or 21. No rule mentions either.

I probably have some minor rule getting in the way or some global protected Rule is always on.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get Little Snitch to allow FTP port 21 through?

Rob

zzz2588

Re: Little Snitch is blocking FTP, I don't want that!

Post by zzz2588 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 pm

After some sleep, I found "a" solution... but it's not "the" solution.

I created a rule to allow any incoming server on port 21. I watched LS as the FTP request came in. It asked to approve a ftpd process and I accepted Forever. After doing this a couple of times, I noticed that each ftpd Process Rule created had a port of 32,000+; each Rule had a slightly different port number.

As I was studying the newly created ftpd Rules, I realized that my source FTP computer has a static IP. DOH! So the solution was to accept any Process connection from the computer with a specific IP.

Can anyone tell me why a ftpd connection that is coming in over port 21 is getting changed to a different port number in the 32,000+ range?

Rob