Little Snitch causes massive boot delay (Mojave 10.14)

General discussions about Little Snitch
LSUser37263

Re: Little Snitch causes massive boot delay (Mojave 10.14)

Postby LSUser37263 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 am

BanditDD wrote:Hi,

LSUser37263 wrote:Latest build 5237 fixed the cold boot delay here. Late 2013 i7 iMac. Was 2-4 minutes on release version after Mojave 10.14. Nightly build cold boot down to 40 seconds, which is the same it was prior to Mojave..

what is the actual behavior of the boot progress bar? Di you see one progress bar without interruption? With LS4.2.3 (the last stable version with boot delay) disappears the progress bar (apr. 75 %) and comes back after 2-3 seconds with a black screen for the rest up to 100%, then starts the desktop.

Best regards,
BanditDD

Progress bar moves normally up to about 60%, then it sits for 3-5 seconds, then in races to 100% and the desktop appears.

studioton

Postby studioton » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi.. I updated to 4.2.4 and long boot time disappears .. but just for a while .. Today I have long boot time on Mojave , brand new Mac mini 2018 again .. it about 2-3 minutes , I try several time to reboot but nothing .. then I uninstall little snitch 4.2.4 and now boot time is about 10 seconds .. It look like the boot delay issue is still here ??

Bruno

Postby Bruno » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:13 pm

studioton wrote:Hi.. I updated to 4.2.4 and long boot time disappears .. but just for a while .. Today I have long boot time on Mojave , brand new Mac mini 2018 again .. it about 2-3 minutes , I try several time to reboot but nothing .. then I uninstall little snitch 4.2.4 and now boot time is about 10 seconds .. It look like the boot delay issue is still here ??

Hi

You have to install the 4.3 nightly (5237), Issue is solved.

https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesni ... ghtly.html

Another attempt to tackle the “delay during system startup on macOS Mojave” problem that some users are experiencing (which we are unfortunately unable to reproduce on any of our machines). If you are affected by this problem, please give this version a try and let us know if it solved the issue for you.

Cheers

chris5s

Postby chris5s » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm

chris5s wrote:Hi,

I did the restart after updating to b5237, it was quick. A cold boot was quick as well. So build 5237 seems to fix the problem :). I write seems, because the lag appears to develop only after some time.

I upgraded my machine (iMac late 2013 w fusion drive) recently, swapping the HDD for an SSD. In the process, I had to restore the OS from a backup. I vividly remember one of the reboots being very quickly. But later on, things started to be very slow again. So, keeping fingers crossed (und Daumen gedrückt)...

Thanks for working on this issue, fixing a non reproducible bug is quite a challenge!

Cheers
Christian

Just a quick update after a couple of days: 5237 has indeed fixed the problem for me. :D

JDW1

Postby JDW1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm running Little Snitch 4.2.4 and get perpetually slow boot times under Mojave. So when is the magical version 4.3 going to be officially released? (I don't run the betas.)

mcmara

Postby mcmara » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm on a MBP 2018 with 6 cores. I tried the suggested beta and it seemed to fix the massive delay.
I have installed then the latest v4.2.4 trusting the release note saying "This version fixes an issue that could cause a delay during system startup on macOS Mojave under some circumstances".
The above is unfortunately untrue for me. Boot time since installing 4.2.4 has been insane. The last boot just took about 5 minutes!!!! The beta was good though: the MBP always booted under a minute.

imacbadass

Postby imacbadass » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:49 am

is it confirmed solved ? im on the fence buying software with this many issues as it seems to have had for a while.
there are other options out there, so want to make sure it now works as intended
thx

juanmiguel

Postby juanmiguel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 am

After updating to b5237, the boot delay has disappeared but ... once I login and desktop appears, the computer takes about 2-3 minutes to load the startup applications (dropbox, docker, LittleSnitch ...) and it does not allow me to connect to the internet until LS has been loaded. In short, the problem I have is the same, but instead of waiting on the home screen now I am waiting in desktop. If I uninstall LS the problem disappears completely. Starup apps load fast and I can connect Internet in seconds... For me the issue it's not solved.

cwog

Postby cwog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 pm

I installed the nightly version - which improved the boot time. However time to boot increased aain over a period of a week or so. I then removed Little Snitch and now running "naked" . Boot time and responsiveness has improved dramatically.

JDW1

Postby JDW1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 am

cwog wrote:I installed the nightly version - which improved the boot time. However time to boot increased aain over a period of a week or so. I then removed Little Snitch and now running "naked" . Boot time and responsiveness has improved dramatically.

Please define "improved dramatically."

Are your boot times as fast as High Sierra or Sierra now?

Thanks.

mcmara

Postby mcmara » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:31 am

Little Snitch, clearly, doesn't not play well with Mojave.
I have timed the boot time with Mojave 10.14.2 and Little Snitch v4.2.4 on my MBP 2018:

- boot time: 4 minutes 53 seconds (from Filevault password to desktop
- network online: about one minutes after the desktop appears (hence about 6 minutes after boot)

Also I have got the Little Snitch popup message "Internal communication error. Could not connect to daemon...".

This system is fairly clean: freshly installed Mojave on October, regularly upgraded successively, with usual development software (Xcode, macports, homebrew) and Little Snitch. I have also the the Microsoft Office package.

JDW1

Postby JDW1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:27 am

Little Snitch is the single most important Mac app out there. I've used it for years and swear by it. But I'm of course still on High Sierra. At some point I will need to upgrade. I'm quite surprised we're not seeing much feedback from Objective Development as to the specific cause of the problem. Surely they must be in contact with Apple about it. If so, what in the world is the problem? Is it truly a bug in MacOS that could be fixed by Apple? Or is it yet another of Apple's brilliant "security features" that won't ever allow Little Snitch to work well (i.e., to give us normal boot times)? Surely, someone at Objective Development should know.

aintnosnitch

Postby aintnosnitch » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:54 pm

JDW1 wrote:Little Snitch is the single most important Mac app out there. I've used it for years and swear by it. But I'm of course still on High Sierra. At some point I will need to upgrade.

The latest nightly b5237 resolved my slowdown issues, with both slow boot and post-login slowness. I'm back to pre-Mojave speeds on my mid-2018 MBP. No more having to force-shutdown following system hangs after login either.

dfdy

Postby dfdy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:10 pm

My 2018 MBP 13” takes longer to boot every time. I’m now on about 60 minutes, the progress bar is on 100%, but my machine refuses to boot. I’m overseas and away from my backups. Basically I now own a fantastically expensive MBP-shaped brick.

JDW1

Postby JDW1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 am

This situation is both hilarious and infuriatingly ridiculous at the same time. On the one hand, we've got folks like "aintnosnitch" claiming the latest build is the magic cure, and on the other hand we have folks like "dfdy" who claim to still have 60 minute boot times. 60 minutes! I like the news show but not the boot time, let me tell you.

When will this madness end?

Return to “Little Snitch General”