Little Snitch doesn't like Google Chrome?

General discussions about Little Snitch
abornemath

Little Snitch doesn't like Google Chrome?

Postby abornemath » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm

No matter how many rules I make for Google Chrome, no matter if I select "Forever" and "Any Connection" I get this little snitch pop-up asking me to verify a connection.

What is going on? What do I need to do to fix this situation? I get this 3-4 times per surfing session.

flakshack

Re: Little Snitch doesn't like Google Chrome?

Postby flakshack » Wed May 02, 2018 2:08 am

I'm having exactly the same problem. It just started with the latest update (4.0.6 v5124). I've been using Little Snitch for many years and this is the first problem I've ever had.

I have a rule in my ruleset for Google Chrome that allows any outgoing connection. Whenever I browse the Internet with Chrome, the primary page generally loads, but ajax requests from the page will cause Little Snitch alerts. For each alert that appears, I click to allow forever, but it doesn't make any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

flakshack

Postby flakshack » Wed May 02, 2018 2:08 am

I should also add that I don't have this problem with any other apps. I usually browse with Firefox and it doesn't have any problems with Little Snitch.

flakshack

Postby flakshack » Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 am

Solved my own problem by doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of Chrome.

Dweebster

Postby Dweebster » Sat May 12, 2018 11:00 pm

flakshack wrote:...

I have a rule in my ruleset for Google Chrome that allows any outgoing connection. Whenever I browse the Internet with Chrome, the primary page generally loads, but ajax requests from the page will cause Little Snitch alerts.

So, first you must accept the fact the Google's entire existence (or most largely of it) depends on getting every details about your life. During an Apache ACL maintenance session in my former hosting company's system -- that insisted I use Chrome -- Little Snitch -- operating in Alert mode -- warned me that Google Chrome wanted to send, "the content of this page to storage.google.com." I do not have a Google Drive, iCloud or any such online storage beyond my web hosting. Nor was I logged into any sort of Google account at that time. So, if you made a "go ahead and raid my life" ruleset, you have no idea what so ever as to what Google is taking from your local machine.

For my safety I uninstalled Chrome, closed all gmail accounts and found new hosting and email providers that do not use Google apps of any sort. Period.

Best of luck with Chrome, gmail and ajax. Cheers!

flakshack

Postby flakshack » Mon May 14, 2018 2:19 am

My problem reappeared, so I came back looking for a solution. I found the following note in the Nightly Builds page:

https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesni ... ghtly.html

Fixed an issue where a connection alert could sometimes be shown despite an existing rule that allowed the connection. We observed this mainly with Google Chrome.

So I guess the good news is that they seem to have fixed the problem. Sucks a little that they didn't bother a reply to this post though. :(

Return to “Little Snitch General”