"Disk couldn't be ejected because Launchbar is using it" after High Sierra upgrade

General discussions about LaunchBar
PackDude

"Disk couldn't be ejected because Launchbar is using it" after High Sierra upgrade

Postby PackDude » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 am

After upgrading to High Sierra, whenever I try to eject external hard drives, I get the following "The disk "*******" couldn't be ejected because "LaunchBar" is using it." I'm using the latest version of LaunchBar (Version 6.9.3 (6156)). Any suggestions? Quitting the app every time I need to eject a drive is not acceptable. This just started after the upgrade to HS.

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: "Disk couldn't be ejected because Launchbar is using it" after High Sierra upgrade

Postby marco » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Is this reproducible or just a one-off thing? It could be that LaunchBar is currently accessing the disk because it’s indexing something. Do you have any rules set up that could cause this, e.g. a Folder Indexing rule whose path points to a folder on that disk?

luckylindy

Re: "Disk couldn't be ejected because Launchbar is using it" after High Sierra upgrade

Postby luckylindy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:52 pm

I had the same issue. I think I fixed it; try this:

1. Invoke LB
2. Press command-option-i
3. On the left, select 'Mounted Volumes'
4. In the window on the right, un-check the mounted volume(s) you want to be able to eject
5. Quit LB
6. Start LB again
7. Check the index again (steps 1-3); in the right window, you should see that your unchecked setting (step 4) has 'stuck', and your mounted volume is not being indexed by LB
8. Eject the volume; it should eject

I haven't let the mounted volume sit for very long between steps 7 and 8, but I am hoping this preference survives time and reboots. I'll let you know.

Y'all do likewise!

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:38 am

luckylindy wrote:[…] and your mounted volume is not being indexed by LB

Please note that if you uncheck a volume in the “Mounted Volume” rule’s index, that does not mean that the volume’s content is not indexed. This simply means that that volume will not show up when you browse the “Mounted Volumes” rule or when you do a full index search. Also, that indexing rule never access anything on the volume, it just lists whatever volumes are currently mounted. Therefore, what you suggest should not be the root of the problem. Instead, there could be a Folder indexing rule that access the volume.

dmw

Postby dmw » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm also having this problem. I have to quit LaunchBar every time I want to eject my external disk. If I quit and restart LaunchBar, I can eject the drive with LaunchBar running. Similarly, I can eject the drive with LaunchBar running if I try shortly after I mount the drive. But if I try to eject after the drive has been plugged in for some time, I invariably get the "Disk couldn't be ejected" error.

So there is something happening in LaunchBar some time after the drive has been plugged in that is causing the issue. I tried looking at the files LaunchBar had open, and none of them were on the external drive, so I'm stumped.

marco
Objective Development
Objective Development

Postby marco » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:27 pm

If LaunchBar doesn’t have any files open on the external drive, but macOS is still unable to unmount it because if LaunchBar, that doesn’t make much sense to me. How did you check that LaunchBar has no files open on the volume?

This is still something I could not reproduce. And I’m frequently mounting and unmounting disks on my Mac.

Return to “LaunchBar General”