Launchbar stops responding when I invoke its calculator

General discussions about LaunchBar
spark

Launchbar stops responding when I invoke its calculator

Postby spark » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:21 am

Any ideas what causes Launchbar to freeze up when the calculator function is invoked, using the = sign? All other functions work fine; I was using it alot during an online math course, and I recall that it first started when I tried to work out some calculation that I no longer recall, and it hasn't worked since. It was months ago, and I forgot what I was doing at the time and just started using other calculators... I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem remains. What could be going on? Thanks so much for the help!

cvsindelar

Re: Launchbar stops responding when I invoke its calculator

Postby cvsindelar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:06 pm

You are not alone! I have the same problem. Launchbar V6. Help please!

The "hang" is not forever. After a couple minutes launchbar comes back to life. However, the calculator is now completely useless.

I did notice at one point that text showed up indicating that the calculator was trying to compute "exp(....) = infinity" or something like that (it flashed by too quickly to read the whole thing). The situation does suggest that the LB calculator has received a "toxic" request for a calculation it does not like. The next time LB calculator is invoked, it seems to always display the last thing that was calculated, so I guess this "memory" would need to be eradicated somehow.....

cvsindelar

Re: Launchbar stops responding when I invoke its calculator

Postby cvsindelar » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:22 pm

UPDATE: I figured out my problem and how to fix it. It was indeed a 'toxic' calculation.

The LB calculator seems to choke on expressions like 'exp(10000)'. Then, every time you start the calculator, it gets stuck trying to redo the toxic calculation.

To fix, do the following

1. Invoke launchbar (apple-space)
2. type "calculator" or whatever it takes to make LB calculator the top choice
3. use the right arrow to list the last few calculations that were done.
> the 'toxic' command may not be visible. However, hit "return"; if this does not do anything, use the down arrow to select a different calculator history item and hit return again until the calculator pops up with the answer.

Return to “LaunchBar General”