insansely slow startup on Mountain Lion

General discussions about LaunchBar
mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

insansely slow startup on Mountain Lion

Post by mattn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 pm

LaunchBar Version 5.3 nightly (934) starts up unbelievably slowly each time on my machine (Mountain Lion preview 4). It just takes forever (several minutes) to get through the part where it reads the Applications index. I don't use the Spotlight index, but in any case that's not the point - it isn't indexing the applications that's slow (I mean, yes, it's slow too, but that's natural since it involves walking the whole disk, and I only do it once a week), it's starting up and reading the existing index. It gets about half-way through the progress bar and then sits there for about two minutes before proceeding.

This is in comparison to previous systems where, with the same settings, reading the Applications index takes just a couple of seconds.

adroid28

Re: insansely slow startup on Mountain Lion

Post by adroid28 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:10 pm

+1

I am experiencing exactly the same issue!

Dionysis

bernd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bernd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I see the same sometimes after restarts with OS10.8. What works here is to restart LaunchBar and manually reindex all rules (cmd + 0).

(Spotlight is not involved here, it only indexes my Calendar (events + reminders), but nothing else and I don't use iCloud.)

There is another thread with some suggestions that have worked for others, see http://forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6858, but as none of the conditions mentioned there apply to my situation, I think it is a LaunchBar issue.

mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:14 pm

bernd wrote:What works here is to restart LaunchBar and manually reindex all rules (cmd + 0)

I don't see what effect that has.

There are two problems here.

First, LaunchBar is insanely slow after a restart and automatic launch to start getting ready for use. It can be as long as five minutes after restart before LaunchBar even begins reading its own index. What is it doing all that time, taking a nap?

Second, LaunchBar is very slow reading its own index. Reading the application index (not surveying applications - reading the already built index) can take as long as a minute. It just sits there with the progress thermometer not progressing.

This is in total contrast to Snow Leopard, where exactly the same version of LaunchBar starts up instantly after restart and is ready for use, with the index read, after a couple of seconds.

Kourosh

Post by Kourosh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 pm

Just want to throw in my own head nodding. I'm having the same issue, though not as bad as mattn had mentioned.

dbyler

Post by dbyler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:23 am

+1 for performance issues with Mountain Lion, though my issues are less with startup and more with day-to-day usage. Sometimes I'll trigger LB and it will beachball for 30 seconds or more. I've started running Alfred a backup for these times.

MrBook

Post by MrBook » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:31 am

mattn wrote:
bernd wrote:What works here is to restart LaunchBar and manually reindex all rules (cmd + 0)

I don't see what effect that has.

There are two problems here.

First, LaunchBar is insanely slow after a restart and automatic launch to start getting ready for use. It can be as long as five minutes after restart before LaunchBar even begins reading its own index. What is it doing all that time, taking a nap?

Second, LaunchBar is very slow reading its own index. Reading the application index (not surveying applications - reading the already built index) can take as long as a minute. It just sits there with the progress thermometer not progressing.

This is in total contrast to Snow Leopard, where exactly the same version of LaunchBar starts up instantly after restart and is ready for use, with the index read, after a couple of seconds.

the part where it reads the Applications index.
:D

mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 pm

I have more information about this issue. It appears to be due to asking LaunchBar to look for applications on the other partition. If I confine LaunchBar's idea of where the applications are to the boot partition, the initial reading / processing of the Applications index is much faster.

Unfortunately, the other partition is where most of the applications are. :( So I do need LaunchBar to look there.

It is still a mystery, though, why LaunchBar is so slow to get going when all it's supposed to be doing is reading its own index. It looks to me like in fact it's walking the other partition every time, even though I've told it not to update the index automatically at all.

deeprave

Post by deeprave » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 am

I originally had this problem in Mountain Lion, which I could not solve it using some of the earlier suggestions I read on this forum. I even switched to Alfred in an attempt to get a working system I could immediately on boot-up but quickly found it had the same issue so moved back to Launchbar. It was frustrating to have to wait for Launchbar to finally become available via its hotkey so I could use my system without having to clutter the Dock.

When attempting to solve this, I found that the issue wasn't the application, but a "feature" of ML. It seems to launch application in the user's logon item list very slowly - the more you have the slower it becomes - which has always been the case, it's just glacial in ML. Since you can't reorder these items with the Users & Groups preference pane (and I have read in a few places that the order does not matter as they are all started asynchronously), I used TinkerTool (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html) to reorder and moved Launchbar into first position.

This pretty much immediately fixed the problem for me and returned to the almost-instantly-available state I enjoyed while using Lion, regardless the advice I had read that it wouldn't.... I gather from this that while logon processes are probably started asynchronously as has been said by others, they are probably being starved of resources unless they are started early in the list. Other stuff I care less about, but Launchbar needs to be there as it is my primary UI to the system.

mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattn » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:11 am

In addition to the very time-consuming "Reading Applications Index" stage, LaunchBar often gets completely stuck on the Indexing User Accounts phase. The only thing you can do is quit LaunchBar and relaunch it.

LaunchBarScreenSnapz001.png
LaunchBarScreenSnapz001.png (12.36 KiB) Viewed 9959 times

mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I'm posting in this thread in order to keep the thread alive. I'm still having this problem. I can't get any work done after restart until LaunchBar has finished reading its own index, and that's taking something like two minutes. Notice that this is not a matter of reindexing; all LaunchBar is supposed to be doing (and all it says it's doing) is load the existing index. It just sits on "Processing application index", twiddling its thumbs.

(The same step takes about half a second in Snow Leopard. But in Mountain Lion it takes a couple of minutes. Why???)

indexing.png
indexing.png (15.8 KiB) Viewed 8646 times

mattn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mattn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Not fixed by Version 5.4.2 (946).

bernieball

Post by bernieball » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 am

+1 on this issue running Launchbar 5.4.2

This hasn't been an issue with Mountain Lion from the start. I really became aware of it about 3 weeks ago and it appears to have gotten progressively worse. I'm experiencing a 3-5 minute startup delay due to the indexing whereas it was previously a few seconds.

I'm not seeing any big load within the Activity Monitor.

MatzeMumpitz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MatzeMumpitz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi,

I've got that insanely slow indexing problem, too. Under 10.6.8.
I am moving to a new mac mini with 10.8 in a few days, fusion drive (250SSD/1TBHD). And I want to upgrade to 10.9 asap.
Anyone who has got that problem under 10.8 oder 10.9?
Recommendations on how to migrate? Should I do a fresh install of LB? Or can I migrate my old iMac harddrive/system including LB and its index to the mac mini?

Best regards from Germany, Matze

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 pm

MatzeMumpitz wrote:Recommendations on how to migrate?

If possible I'd prefer to start with a clean OS install on the 10.8 system, then use Migration Assistant to transfer at least Users and Settings from the 10.6 to 10.8 system. Depending on which Applications (and versions) are on the 10.6 system I might also transfer those or only manually reinstall what's necessary on the 10.8 system so it doesn't end up with 10.6 clutter.
Should I do a fresh install of LB?

In general, I'd want the latest application versions installed on the 10.8 system, using personal data transferred from 10.6. That works fine in most cases, with only a few things needing special attention.

Or can I migrate my old iMac harddrive/system including LB and its index to the mac mini?

Using Migration Assistant is the easiest way to transfer the data unless you want more specific control and understand what you're doing.