Search template to local file broken

Sharing and discussing custom search templates for LaunchBar
Dreamer3

Search template to local file broken

Postby Dreamer3 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:01 am

Not sure when this stopped working... but this was a great feature for local search documentation... any thoughts on how to fix it? The param is missing from the URL and of course it can't popular the search box in the UI...

Help please?

manfred
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Search template to local file broken

Postby manfred » Wed May 02, 2012 5:36 pm

What version of LaunchBar do you use? Nightly Build 5.2.1-912 fixed an issue with search templates.

Dreamer3

Postby Dreamer3 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:18 am

Great. I upgraded and now all I get is this error:

Christian Roth

Postby Christian Roth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:34 pm

I am having the same/similar issue with LB 6.2. I have configured "search templates" (though I actually just want a list of openable URLs: is there a better way to do this??).

One entry e.g. is:

Name: uc
URL: file:///Users/myname/dist/doc/manual/html/index.html

When I try to open that I get an error: "LaunchBar kann „~/dist/doc/manual/html/index.html“ nicht öffnen, da Internetadressen, die mit „(null):“ beginnen, von OS X nicht erkennt werden." (sic)

I t seems like LB tries to be smart and turn the "file:///Users/myname/" part into "~/", which for URLs is certainly not what I want. How should I proceed?

Thanks,
Christian

Christian Roth

Postby Christian Roth » Thu May 07, 2015 6:56 pm

With meanwhile being on LaunchBar 6.3, I am facing still the exact same issue (even the spelling mistake in the dialog... :wink: ) Is there anything I could do to not have LB any magic to my URLs, but just have it leave file:-protocol URLs just as they are?

Or is there a different solution to have LB index/open explicitly specified custom URLs other than using the search template route? Creating .webloc files, putting them in a folder, add that folder to the index is the only workaround I've found so far, but its cumbersome...

Thanks, Christian

ratty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby ratty » Sat May 09, 2015 1:34 am

Have you tried upchucking the Abbereviate home folder in copied file paths with tilde sing (~) in the Advanced in the Preferences?

Pref.tiff
Pref

Christian Roth

Postby Christian Roth » Sat May 09, 2015 10:05 am

Yes, "Abbreviate home folder in copied file paths with tilde sign (~)" is OFF (unchecked) in my settings. That setting shouldn't have an effect on the issue I was reporting, though.

Christian Roth

Postby Christian Roth » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:07 pm

Now meanwhile on LaunchBar 6.6.2, the issue persists exactly as described above :(

Is this ever gonna be remedied, or does there exist a different way to do this? It looks like the basic use case I have is the same as described in this post (also no answer so far @ 2016-06-13).

Thanks,
Christian

Return to “LaunchBar Search Templates”