How to search in external apps like Yojimbo?

Sharing and discussing custom search templates for LaunchBar
joshuakaufman

Post by joshuakaufman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:50 pm

I have no idea what either of you are talking about but I'm really glad to hear that you are talking! :) Hopefully someone at ObDev will notice and make it easier to implement. LaunchBar and Yojimbo are both such great programs with similar aims - it only seems natural for them to work together!

beerich
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by beerich » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:53 pm

Essentially, from the discussion, LB should be able to scan the exported header tags (XML) that Yojimbo created. To launch that record in Yojimbo should be pretty easy, if Yojimbo has a hook to ask for certain records, based upon the fields exported.

joshuakaufman

Post by joshuakaufman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Awesome. What's the next step to get this done? Does ObDev have to do it? Should we contact them? http://www.obdev.at/contact/

beerich
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by beerich » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Our friend is on it.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Right. Objective Development has to do it. I already contacted them and described the situation. I will follow up with their follow-up once it's here. :D So, to follow the GTD vocabulary, it's now a waiting-for action :D

egrieco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Choose the right app

Post by egrieco » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Another way to handle this issue is to choose a better information manager application.

I have been using Yojimbo since it came out but recently switched to Together ( http://reinventedsoftware.com/together/ ). Unlike Yojimbo, which stores its data in a sqlite database, Together stores everything in the filesystem. This means that all of your data is easily accessible from LaunchBar, Leap, Spotlight, or any other app that can browse the file system.

Here's to open data formats!

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Re: Choose the right app

Post by sjk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:43 am

egrieco wrote:Another way to handle this issue is to choose a better information manager application.

Little doubt Together is better than Yojimbo for open data access but not necessary overall. Together was intolerably slow on older system I've tested it on; Yojimbo was acceptable.

Dennis
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Choose the right app

Post by Dennis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 am

sjk wrote:Together was intolerably slow on older system I've tested it on; Yojimbo was acceptable.

My experience is also that Together gets very slow with large databases. With close to 3,500 items, it was almost unusable.

With Yojimbo, on the other hand, there appears to be no performance difference at all between 10 items and 3,500 - it's fast.

-Dennis

jordi

build your own set of scripts/apps

Post by jordi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi,

I've had the same problem when the Quicksilver plugin stopped working with the latest version of Yojimbo. I've came up with a fairly easy solution:
I've created a script to export all items directly from the sqlite database to the filesystem. The filename of each file is (in most cases anyway - not all characters are supported in filenames) the item's name in Yojimbo. The content of the file is the exact name of the Yojimbo item. An example file would be:

Code: Select all

Cisco Callmanager.yjlb

I've scheduled this script to run every 15 minutes. Depending on the amount of items in Yojimbo it takes from a few seconds to a minute or so. But since it's running in the background I don't care about that too much.

I've also written a simple application (basically an applescript packaged as an application using XCode) that opens the yojimbo item using the content of the file. I've setup the finder to open all these Yojimbo "reference files" with the extension .yjln with this "helper application". This helper application then fires up Yojimbo with the choosen item. This works for encrypted items as well but you need to decrypt the file just like you normally would.

This whole setup can be leveraged in both Quicksilver and Launchbar. You just need to be sure that the directory containing all reference files is indexed. When you seach the index for the referenced Yojimbo item it then per default launches the helper application and the item pops up. Off you go!

I know it's a bit of a hack. But it works. And I use it at least a dozen times everyday.