Making Search Templates

Sharing and discussing custom search templates for LaunchBar
sammie1177

Making Search Templates

Post by sammie1177 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:00 am

I wish that there were some small video tutorials on the Launchbar website. It is fine to have written guide but sometimes video's are best. I really want to know how to make my own search templates in Launchbar. I know there is an info on it in the guide but I find it confusing. I want to make a search template for Rotten Tomatoes and The Pirate Bay. Any hits on how one might do this.

kaijin

Re: Making Search Templates

Post by kaijin » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:16 am

Execute a search within your chosen website as you normally would. For example, go to www.rottentomatoes.com and enter the name of a film title in the website's search bar (RT button should be selected) and hit Return. Copy the results page url, which should be http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/fu ... hp?search=<name of film>. Open LB index and select Search Templates (UTF-8). Click the Add… button at the bottom of the main pane. Name the search, press Tab, then paste the url into Details field. Replace <name of film> with * or %s. Hit Return to exit edit mode.

Rotten Tomatoes:

Code: Select all

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/full_search.php?search=*

These steps should work for any website search. Simply find the search term you entered in the url and replace it with * or %s. If the website search has filter options—such as All, Music, Movies, Games, Applications—you can create and save a separate search for each filter in LB.

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by iRounak » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:44 am

I think kaijin has explained it properly. Its better than making a video for explaining such things.
And I don't think there are any free softwares(other than Jing) for making videos in Mac OS. If you do know about one, let me know, I might consider making some LaunchBar videos myself.

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:22 pm

iRounak wrote:And I don't think there are any free softwares(other than Jing) for making videos in Mac OS.

Any reason it has to be free? Maybe you can negotiate for a license to a shareware version?

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by iRounak » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Any reason it has to be free?

Obvious reasons:
1. I don't need to make high quality professional videos so that I pay for it
2. I just want to make simple video tutorials just like people write text tutorials, How To's etc for *others*

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:03 am

Those aren't obvious reasons to me. I get benefits from purchasing/using a relatively inexpensive screen recording app (Screenflick) without ever creating "high quality professional videos" . :)

Anyway, if you're running Snow Leopard there's full-screen recording for free:

Use Quicktime X in Mac Snow Leopard for Easy Screencasting

iRounak
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by iRounak » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:50 am

Anyway, if you're running Snow Leopard there's full-screen recording for free:

Use Quicktime X in Mac Snow Leopard for Easy Screencasting

Thanks for the info. I am on Leopard.

stephenxanders

Post by stephenxanders » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:38 pm

sammie1177 wrote:I wish that there were some small video tutorials on the Launchbar website. It is fine to have written guide but sometimes video's are best. I really want to know how to make my own search templates in Launchbar. I know there is an info on it in the guide but I find it confusing. I want to make a search template for Rotten Tomatoes and The Pirate Bay. Any hits on how one might do this.

Hey buddy, I would agree to you.. reading materials are good and helpful however videos works best for us. Seeing the actual video is better than just merely reading without seeing the application side...

sjk
Wizard
Wizard

Post by sjk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:07 pm

I'd like to see video examples of how savvy users are making use of sending items and other LB features in practical ways.