Search Template : Services Problem

Sharing and discussing custom search templates for LaunchBar
ueila

Search Template : Services Problem

Post by ueila » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:08 pm

I am using a personal productivity application called Things to keep a list of Projects and To Do's.

Things has two Services that allow you to copy and paste text that is high lighted in an email, a text file or a browser into the Title field of a To Do or into a description of the work called the Notes field. I'd like to use LaunchBar to automate this process. I have been struggling to create two configurations that will do this automatically but I can not get either to work.

I would be grateful if someone with more experience could please have a look at these and tell me what I am doing wrong.

Things Note x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Things/New+To-do+Containing+Selection+as+Note=*
Things Title x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Things/New+To-do+Containing+Selection+as+Title=*

Bill

ueila

Things

Post by ueila » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:26 pm

If anyone is able to help and would like to try your solution, you might want to know that Things is in Beta and can be downloaded free of charge at http://www.culturedcode.com/things/

Bill

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

!

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Hi ueila,
your URL was wrong:

x-launchbar:perform-service?name=Things/New+To-do+Containing+Selection+as+Note&string=*

You were simply missing the &string=* part at the end :)

Regards,
Ludwig

PS: Things indeed is a great app!

ueila

Post by ueila » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Ludwig.

I also tried your suggestion earlier. However, a dialog box opens for me to enter text. If I simple press RETURN the Things dialog box opens but the text I selected is not pasted into it as it should be. I thought perhaps there was another ending to the command like that would avoid the dialog box opening and let the Service command execute.

Bill

ueila

Post by ueila » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Hello again ...

If you are using Things, please give it a try and see if it works for you. :)

Bill

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:49 pm

I don't really know what it is that doesn't work for you. I'll tell you my usage model.
Select some text, instant-send it to LaunchBar, type "ttd" for ThingsToDo, hit enter. QuickEntry opens, with the text properly attached.

Maybe you can describe what you were trying to do, exactly?

Ludwig

PS: Been using Things since the first public beta, on my Mac and on my iPhone. I like it.

EDIT: Hm, I think what you tried to do is simply executing the menu item. This won't work as a search-template in LaunchBar (don't ask me why), you just have to instant-send the text to the search template.

ueila

Post by ueila » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:24 am

Hello again... I'm new to LaunchBar, having had issues recently with QuickSilver, but thanks to you I have it working. I don't quite understand what's working but it is working. I'm sure I'll eventually figure out how and why it's working given time. And thanks for the tip about the Instant Send feature. I could not have done this without your help. Thanks.

Bill in the Engadin

PS: Been using Things for about nine months. Also on iMacs & my iPhone in combination with DropBox. Great software and getting better.

ueila

Post by ueila » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:14 pm

O.K. Here is the step by step of what I have to do and I've been through it several times to be sure what I have written is correct.
1 Select some text using a mouse
2 Cmd-C to copy to clipboard
3 Cmd-V to instant paste (This does not put the text into LaunchBar's memory)
4 HotKey to launch LaunchBar
5 TTN to open the Things Note dialog box
6 Ctrl-V to paste text into the dialog box
7 Hit Return key
8 Things "New To Do" opens with the text in the note
9 Hit Return to save it
I'm a bit confused by LaunchBar opening the dialog box, and the fact that I then have to to Cmd-V to insert the text. I thought the instant-send it feature would ensure it was already there.

The Things Services command does not seem to work as it should nor the instant-send it feature.

Thanks for trying to help. Bill

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ludwigschubert » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:54 pm

OK, Bill,
what you're doing is not instant send. That's why you have t command+c.

Do it this way instead:
1 Select some text using a mouse
2 Instant-Send to LaunchBar by pressing and holding command+space.
You know that instant-send worked when it looks like this:

3 Type your TTN to send to Things Note, press enter
4 Press enter again to confirm the QuickEntry Dialogue.

I hope this helped,
Ludwig

ueila

Post by ueila » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks for your patience and your help.

When I press Cmd+Space after highlighting some 'Test Text Test Text' in TextEdit I get a repeating audio like drum drum drum drum drum and nothing happens. I guess it's trying to tell me there is an error somewhere.

If I drag'n'drop 'Test Text Test Text' to the LaunchBar icon on the Dock then:
1 the LaunchBar icon immediately appears on the desktop
2 I type Tnn / Tnt to call the configuration script for a Note or Title
3 I press Return key & Things puts that text in the correct field in a new To Do

So thanks to you assistance it is working; only Cmd+Space not.

If I can find out what is causing that error I presume it should work. Cmd+Space is usually used to change (toggle) the Input Menu for Keyboards.
Note: I did have the keyboard set up to use British or Russian characters.
1 If I turn off Russian in Preferences:International the Input Menu options in Preferences:Keyboard&Mouse disappear.
2 If I turn off Russian in Preferences:Internationa the Input Menu options in
Preferences:Keyboard&Mouse return.
3 If I disable the Preferences:Keyboard&Mouse I get the funny drumming noise.

I have disabled the Russian Keyboard option and will restart the Mac and LaunchBar and see if there is any change.

Bill

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Greg Jones » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:38 am

Bill,

Instead of Cmd-Space, use whatever key sequence you have set up to activate LaunchBar. Most of us use Cmd-Space, and I suspect that Ludwig does as well. I just tried the above sequence and it works for me.

Greg

ueila

Post by ueila » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Thank you Greg. That works. Learning the tricks of using LaunchBar is certainly a journey ...

Bill