Page 1 of 2

MacUpdate Search has Changed

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 pm
by F451
MacUpdate has changed its means of searching and whenever I use the following LB template: http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=* it yields the following dialog box:

Image
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

After manually entering what I looking for in MacUpdate's search box the findings yield the following syntax:

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?key ... get=google

Has someone rewritten a LB template for MacUpdate that works with MacUpdate's newer search? Thanks.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:18 pm
by ludwigschubert
Well, you have actually done most of the work already :D

The new template is:

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=*&starget=google


When you want to create a new template for any website just search for a recognizable word like "search" and then replace that word in the resulting URL with a wildcard (*).

If you're interested in staying up-to-date about LaunchBar's development (as your search suggests), might I recommend the developer's atom feed?

regards,
Ludwig

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:36 pm
by F451
ludwigschubert wrote:If you're interested in staying up-to-date about LaunchBar's development (as your search suggests), might I recommend the developer's atom feed?

regards,
Ludwig


Ludwig,

Thanks! I was following development, but it looks like my reader is no longer picking-up Obdev updates.

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 am
by randyharris
I'm using the following UTF8 MacUpdate string without problem:

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?key ... get=google

changed again

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 am
by random_person
macupdate seem to have changed their search string again - anyone got any ideas?

-thanks

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:59 pm
by Weaselboy

Code: Select all

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=*+site%3Amacupdate.com&btnG=Search


Sort of a kludge, but this works using Google to only search MacUpdate.com.

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 pm
by ludwigschubert
I just took a quick look at their site, the search string format still seems pretty straightforward for me:

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=*

regards,
Ludwig

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm
by Greg Jones
ludwigschubert wrote:I just took a quick look at their site, the search string format still seems pretty straightforward for me:


I tried this before myself. It looks straightforward, but when you call it from LB you get a blank page. The URL in every way looks identical from what one gets if searching directly from the MU site, but nothing is displayed. The page itself does have a different title-the page called from LB has a page title of the entire search string while a search from MU will have a page title of 'MacUpdate Search'.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 pm
by random_person
yup that's exactly what i see. if you look at source, it looks like they are calling some javascript on the submission of the form so a direct string query won't work. i was putting a packet sniffer on it and it looks like the form submits some extra variables on the wire.

very irritating

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:57 pm
by ludwigschubert
OK, I'm sorry guys – I posted this without even testing. :?
So I owe it to you to get it to work:

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/*/

I didn't even need a packet sniffer, there's almost plain text instructions in their mozilla search plugin.

Happy searching,
Ludwig

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm
by ludwigschubert
One more thing, it should be an UTF-8 template 8)

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:59 pm
by Weaselboy
Thanks Ludwig. That string works if you drop off the last slash... like this.

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/*

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm
by random_person
heh rockin - that works perfectly. thanks muchly

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:41 pm
by ludwigschubert
Weaselboy wrote:Thanks Ludwig. That string works if you drop off the last slash...


Hm… OK, that's true. The slash should be dropped :)
However, for me, both work fine in Safari 4 Beta. No idea why…

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:35 pm
by ape
worked fine with the slash for me in OmniWeb also.