MacUpdate Search has Changed

Sharing and discussing custom search templates for LaunchBar
F451
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:24 pm

MacUpdate Search has Changed

Post by F451 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 pm

MacUpdate has changed its means of searching and whenever I use the following LB template: http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=* it yields the following dialog box:

Image
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

After manually entering what I looking for in MacUpdate's search box the findings yield the following syntax:

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?key ... get=google

Has someone rewritten a LB template for MacUpdate that works with MacUpdate's newer search? Thanks.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Post by ludwigschubert » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:18 pm

Well, you have actually done most of the work already :D

The new template is:

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=*&starget=google


When you want to create a new template for any website just search for a recognizable word like "search" and then replace that word in the resulting URL with a wildcard (*).

If you're interested in staying up-to-date about LaunchBar's development (as your search suggests), might I recommend the developer's atom feed?

regards,
Ludwig

F451
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Post by F451 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:36 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:If you're interested in staying up-to-date about LaunchBar's development (as your search suggests), might I recommend the developer's atom feed?

regards,
Ludwig


Ludwig,

Thanks! I was following development, but it looks like my reader is no longer picking-up Obdev updates.

randyharris
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 9:10 am

Post by randyharris » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 am

I'm using the following UTF8 MacUpdate string without problem:

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?key ... get=google

random_person
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

changed again

Post by random_person » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 am

macupdate seem to have changed their search string again - anyone got any ideas?

-thanks

Weaselboy
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Post by Weaselboy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Code: Select all

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=*+site%3Amacupdate.com&btnG=Search


Sort of a kludge, but this works using Google to only search MacUpdate.com.

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Post by ludwigschubert » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:34 pm

I just took a quick look at their site, the search string format still seems pretty straightforward for me:

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=*

regards,
Ludwig

Greg Jones
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:40 pm

Post by Greg Jones » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm

ludwigschubert wrote:I just took a quick look at their site, the search string format still seems pretty straightforward for me:


I tried this before myself. It looks straightforward, but when you call it from LB you get a blank page. The URL in every way looks identical from what one gets if searching directly from the MU site, but nothing is displayed. The page itself does have a different title-the page called from LB has a page title of the entire search string while a search from MU will have a page title of 'MacUpdate Search'.

random_person
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

Post by random_person » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 pm

yup that's exactly what i see. if you look at source, it looks like they are calling some javascript on the submission of the form so a direct string query won't work. i was putting a packet sniffer on it and it looks like the form submits some extra variables on the wire.

very irritating

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:57 pm

OK, I'm sorry guys – I posted this without even testing. :?
So I owe it to you to get it to work:

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/*/

I didn't even need a packet sniffer, there's almost plain text instructions in their mozilla search plugin.

Happy searching,
Ludwig

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

One more thing, it should be an UTF-8 template 8)

Weaselboy
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Post by Weaselboy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Thanks Ludwig. That string works if you drop off the last slash... like this.

Code: Select all

http://www.macupdate.com/*

random_person
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am

Post by random_person » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:18 pm

heh rockin - that works perfectly. thanks muchly

ludwigschubert
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria

Post by ludwigschubert » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Weaselboy wrote:Thanks Ludwig. That string works if you drop off the last slash...


Hm… OK, that's true. The slash should be dropped :)
However, for me, both work fine in Safari 4 Beta. No idea why…

ape
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:15 am
Location: Aloha, OR USA

Post by ape » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:35 pm

worked fine with the slash for me in OmniWeb also.

Post Reply