Overclocked microcontroller and other questions...

General discussions about V-USB, our firmware-only implementation of a low speed USB device on Atmel's AVR microcontrollers
Post Reply
Guest

Overclocked microcontroller and other questions...

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:41 am

Does anybody have any experience with a AT90S2313-10PC (10MHz)... is it possible to use a 12 MHz quartz?
I'm asking because I have this programmer http://futurlec.com/AtmelProg2.shtml and the only chip I can still get is the 2313...
or can I use this programmer also with the newer AVR types?
I used this programmer 6 years ago to program AT89C2051-24PC, but now I need USB to RS485 (IBM Port 5b) to connect an old bar code scanner to my PC.
I still have a AT89C55WD-24PC spare part but I think I can not use this chip because of the internal tact divider, is this true?
What would you do, should I first get a new programmer? Or is there any other solution?

Markus


PS: what is the difference between a -10PC and -10PI??
PPS: Thank you for any help!

Grendel
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:53 pm
Location: Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Overclocked microcontroller and other questions...

Post by Grendel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:49 am

Anonymous wrote:I still have a AT89C55WD-24PC spare part but I think I can not use this chip because of the internal tact divider, is this true?

Depends, usually the internal clocks have more tolerance than the USB spec allows (+/- 1.5% for low speed devices.) Use of a crystal oscilator is strongly recommended.

Anonymous wrote:What would you do, should I first get a new programmer? Or is there any other solution?

Most AVRs are easy to program using the SPI interface. A particular simple method is described here eg.

Anonymous wrote:PS: what is the difference between a -10PC and -10PI??

I stands for Industrial, C for Consumer. The I versions have a bit broader operating ranges (mainly operating temp IIRC.)

christian
Objective Development
Objective Development
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:46 am

Re: Overclocked microcontroller and other questions...

Post by christian » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:Does anybody have any experience with a AT90S2313-10PC (10MHz)... is it possible to use a 12 MHz quartz?


I have tried a couple of them and none failed, even at 3.5 V....

Post Reply