How best to updated existing WebYep site

General discussions about WebYep
DesignNorth
Rank 2
Rank 2

How best to updated existing WebYep site

Post by DesignNorth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:11 pm

Most of the sites we build are re-design rebuilds of .html sites adding in the WebYep CMS.

A straight forward process of creating matching .php file names of the .html filenames, setting up the WebYep elements in them, either us or the client populates the .php page. The old .html pages are deleted and the new site is good to go live.

But what is the best way for an existing WebYep site with WebYep content where your file names need to remain the same?

For example index.php (old site) and index2.php (new site) If the old site (index.php) is deleted won't the old data wrongly populate the new page? In the document file does each link retain a number (the number on the end) to identify them so this won't be a problem?

Should you develop and add the WebYep content the site in a separate folder? e.g. www.mysite.com/newsite/index.php
Should you develop and add the WebYep content the site in a subdomain? e.g. newsite.mysite.com/index.php (do you need a new license)
Can you add a duplicate WebYep system in that folder/subdomain? Then delete the old system in the root directory when going live?

Any advice welcome...

Eelco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How best to updated existing WebYep site

Post by Eelco » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:04 pm

The list of the document names are listed in the 'webyep-system > data > documents' file.

If you rename the old '/index.php 1' to '/old_index 1' (or whatever number this pages has: you just have to make sure the number is preserved) the old webyep items will not transfer into the new index.php file.

I have done this a number of times to transfer web yep content to other pages.

DesignNorth
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DesignNorth » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks that helps

JanSmoot

Post by JanSmoot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:28 pm

I am trying to essentially copy an existing webyep site. I see from this posting that the list of document names is held in data/documents. I have modified this list to duplicate the document and added to the end of the list with a 1 up document number. I then copied all of the data files with the new number. But, I get a 404 code that the url can not be found. Thought from this posting that would work. What am I doing wrong?

If there is any other way to duplicate a document-LET ME KNOW!!! Seems like this should be an easy task.
Thanks so much.