Extended plain text editor element

General discussions about WebYep
Eelco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Extended plain text editor element

Post by Eelco » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 pm

I did try to like the rich text element but it meant to much trouble: I did used it in one website (the last one I made with Freeway Pro) only to find out two years later the styles were actually written inline in the HTML output. I had a large day to delete all styles and replace all rich text elements with plain text ones.

I do like the plain text element, exempt that it does not have a default way to write emphasized text. I could use a 'SPECIAL' tag to create a span but it is not the same. Apart from that I did have some other issues: I usually wrap the element within two 'p' tags, but if I type a list or a table within the text editor it sometime does not give me valid html.

I did some research and found something that would give me (and my customers) a better way to type text. Another javascript based text editor like CKEditor or TimyMCE, but with a better and cleaner output: http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/home/, but I cannot find a way to implement this in WebYep without editing the program itself. I would love to see something like this 'native' in WebYep (some things in the Plain text element resemble markup elements in Markdown already): is something like this 'in the works' for WebYep 2?

marcus
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Extended plain text editor element

Post by marcus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:57 am

Eelco wrote:I did try to like the rich text element but it meant to much trouble: I did used it in one website (the last one I made with Freeway Pro) only to find out two years later the styles were actually written inline in the HTML output. I had a large day to delete all styles and replace all rich text elements with plain text ones.

What's wrong with inline styles? They are a perfectly valid way to introduce arbitrary styles without the need to define them first. The only thing necessary to produce valid HTML with inline styles is a line like this in the header of your page: <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css"/>

Eelco wrote:I do like the plain text element, exempt that it does not have a default way to write emphasized text. I could use a 'SPECIAL' tag to create a span but it is not the same. Apart from that I did have some other issues: I usually wrap the element within two 'p' tags, but if I type a list or a table within the text editor it sometime does not give me valid html.

Use a <div> instead of a <p> tag to wrap your rich/plain text elements. A <div> can hold every other type of HTML element while a <p> can only hold flow elements.

Eelco wrote:I did some research and found something that would give me (and my customers) a better way to type text. Another javascript based text editor like CKEditor or TimyMCE, but with a better and cleaner output: http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/home/, but I cannot find a way to implement this in WebYep without editing the program itself. I would love to see something like this 'native' in WebYep (some things in the Plain text element resemble markup elements in Markdown already): is something like this 'in the works' for WebYep 2?

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider this for a future version of WebYep.

Eelco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Extended plain text editor element

Post by Eelco » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Marcus, thank you for your reply: of course there is nothing wrong with inline styles: it just can get a problem when a website gets a new design (and for the website i referred to, this is the case each two years).

I will try to use a div to wrap the plain text element: I didn't tried that!