Client wants new page

General discussions about WebYep
JustMigrating

Client wants new page

Post by JustMigrating » Thu May 05, 2011 5:08 pm

I apologize if this has been asked and answered ...

If I create a website for a client using WebYep and the client wants to add new pages to their site, what do you instruct them? Do you have your clients come back to you to create new pages? Do you give them a blank "template" page, so to speak, with WebYep rich text editable regions, and then give them instructions on how to change the page title in the header? To date, I have had my clients purchase Adobe Contribute to maintain their websites and Contribute allows the client to edit existing pages as well as easily create new ones. But Contribute is expensive and I am looking for a cheaper alternative. I have installed the WebYep demo and really like the way the client can edit text and add text to an existing page. But now I wonder what the client will do when they want new pages.

marcus
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Client wants new page

Post by marcus » Thu May 05, 2011 6:19 pm

JustMigrating wrote:If I create a website for a client using WebYep and the client wants to add new pages to their site, what do you instruct them? Do you have your clients come back to you to create new pages?

That depends on the type of page your client wants to add. Usually, you as a designer create the page layout and all pages according to the customer's wishes.
Clients only add or modify content in existing pages. WebYep has a feature called "Document Instances", which means that you create one page (think of it as a template) and the customer creates virtual copies of this page and fills it with content (images, text, ...). You can have many such pages (templates) and the client can "add copies" of those. However, what he really does is 'adding content', not actual pages.

JustMigrating wrote:Do you give them a blank "template" page, so to speak, with WebYep rich text editable regions, and then give them instructions on how to change the page title in the header?

Simply speaking, yes. But there are much more elements than rich text editable regions, although the rich text areas are probably the most commonly used.
E.g. if you want to create a site with repeating elements, like a product list, you can define a piece of code representing one such entry (e.g. with an image to the left, a header and a multi-line description) and place it in a Loop-Item, thus enabling the clients to add more such entries and reorder them, but effectively keeping them from accidently destroying your layout.

JustMigrating wrote:I have installed the WebYep demo and really like the way the client can edit text and add text to an existing page. But now I wonder what the client will do when they want new pages.

In short, if those pages shall have a completely different layout or different (more, less, other, ...) elements in it, then your clients will have to consult you. If they don't, then then they can do this themselves. In my expirience, the latter is much more common.

JustMigrating

Post by JustMigrating » Thu May 05, 2011 6:59 pm

um, thanks for the reply Marcus, but I don't feel I understand exactly what you said. If 2 months after a website is launched and the client wants to add 5 new pages -- not just additional content on existing pages -- but actual new pages to the site, is there an easy way for the client to do this? I realize I can give the client a designed page that has no content, but has a WebYep rich text box, thus allowing the client to add their content via the rich text box, but then the title in the page head won't be modified. My clients don't know how to change that. Also, I noticed that the rich text box doesn't allow uploading of images. For a future new page, neither I, nor the client, will know if (or where) the client would want images on a new page. Is there a way for the client to upload images using the WebYep CMS?

marcus
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by marcus » Fri May 06, 2011 11:55 am

JustMigrating wrote:If 2 months after a website is launched and the client wants to add 5 new pages -- not just additional content on existing pages -- but actual new pages to the site, is there an easy way for the client to do this? I realize I can give the client a designed page that has no content, but has a WebYep rich text box, thus allowing the client to add their content via the rich text box, but then the title in the page head won't be modified.

The "Document Instances" refere to the WebYep Menu Element.
With it you can place a menu on a page and let the client add menu items. For each menu item a "virtual copy" of that page is generated, that can then be filled with content.
So the client can not add totally new pages with new layout, but they can create multiple "instances" of existing pages.

An example:
You create a product page - a page containing WebYep Elements to present a product (product name, image, description text).
You also place a WebYep Menu Element on that page.
You then let the client fill in a menu item for each product (thereby creating a virtual copy of that page) and fill in the content (product name, description. etc.). This the client can do any time - without your intervention.

JustMigrating wrote:...but then the title in the page head won't be modified. My clients don't know how to change that.

You can use a WebYep ShortText element to represent the <title> of a page (in fact, you can make every item in the page head editable).

JustMigrating wrote:Also, I noticed that the rich text box doesn't allow uploading of images. For a future new page, neither I, nor the client, will know if (or where) the client would want images on a new page. Is there a way for the client to upload images using the WebYep CMS?

Usually you would also place at least one WebYep Image Element on the page, which the client then can (but does not have to) use to place an image onto the page.

The Rich Text Element's supported WYSIWYG editors (CKEditor, TinyMCE) also offer add-ons (file managers) that allow for uploading and adding images and other files right into your text.

At the moment these add-ons are not directly supported by WebYep. We are working on that currently, but I unfortunately cannot state a date for it's availability yet.

JustMigrating

Post by JustMigrating » Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks Marcus. I need to explore the menu element more as well as adding a short text element to the page head. If I can get that to work for me, then I think this system will work for some of my clients. I understand how to use the WebYep image element, but since the image element requires that I determine ahead of time where each image will be placed, I don't find it as usable. I did try figuring out how to add an image uploader to both TinyMCE and ckeditor, but was unsuccessful. However, both these rich text editors can allow images to be placed anywhere within text if the user refers to the image's URL. I might just type up instructions then for my clients as to how to upload images via FTP to a pre-made folder and then using the rich text element to place those images where they want within the rich text box.