Is there a limit to how many elements on a site?

General discussions about WebYep
rickfleehart

Is there a limit to how many elements on a site?

Post by rickfleehart » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Is there any limit to how many WebYep elements or objects you can have on a web site? What I mean as elements is like the rich text editor. We have over 200 right now and if I add the attachment element/feature, that will go to at least 400 - 500. Are there any internal stopping points like some binary thing that stops the number at 256 or 1024 or something? I suppose that the more elements, the slower the web site will become just because WebYep has to find the elements in a growing list? Any experience with many elements and a slower site?

WebYep and the multiple logins have really been a great addition to our web site. Thanks bunches.

-Rick
Webmaster for St. Francis of Assisi Parish
http://www.stfoa.org/parish/

marcus
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Is there a limit to how many elements on a site?

Post by marcus » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:05 pm

rickfleehart wrote:Is there any limit to how many WebYep elements or objects you can have on a web site?
There is no restriction to the number of elements you can place on a single page (well, at least as long as you don't intend to put 3 billion elements on a single page ;))

rickfleehart wrote:Are there any internal stopping points like some binary thing that stops the number at 256 or 1024 or something?
Technically, there's a limit of 231 (on 32 bit systems) and 263 (on 64 bit systems). Higher numbers may yield unexpected results, but your server will most likely choke on fewer items.

rickfleehart wrote:I suppose that the more elements, the slower the web site will become just because WebYep has to find the elements in a growing list?
You are right, but WebYep was never designed to hold thousands of elements on a single page.

rickfleehart wrote:Any experience with many elements and a slower site?
If you really need so many elements, maybe you should distribute them on several pages?

rickfleehart

Re: Is there a limit to how many elements on a site?

Post by rickfleehart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Great information and details. I wasn't planning on putting more than 20 - 30 elements on a page so it looks like WebYep can handle it fine.
(I tried to respond a few weeks ago but the board reported an error).
Thanks for your information.

-Rick