SEO and new url structure in latest WY

General discussions about WebYep
briar

SEO and new url structure in latest WY

Post by briar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Johannes

Been a while since I have posted to get some assistance, Webyep having delivered everything needed without the need.

However I do have a query which you might be able to answer.

I am currently reviewing and updating a customer site using WY and this site has a #1 ranking in its business and products, and needs to retain this in any work done, so my question is:

With the latest version of WY now having a change url structure, dropping the 'webyep' and adopting the 'docinst' identity, have you tested the effect on SEO and rankings for any listings with top placed sites such as I am working on. Any change in listings would impact heavily on my customers business.

I have two options ask the question to see if there is any 'experience', upgrade and 'redirect' the url or sit tight on the original system.

The added 'multi-login' makes the upgrade useful, along with any improvements and bug remedies, but SEO takes precedence over all of this.

Perhaps you can give me and in doing so give WY users a general update on this situation.

My second question is: If there is an impact that cannot be resolved simply with guarantees on safeguarding search rankings, would it be possible to have the old url structure restored to the latest system (by special request) for such issues as this, to provide such sites with a safe upgrade path?

Look forward to any advice you may be able to offer.
Regards

David

pikefisher

Re: SEO and new url structure in latest WY

Post by pikefisher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm

My original post was under the username of 'briar', the forum new set up refused to accept or allow all my previous login username and password details.

Not the normal service I might have expected to a pretty important question from the WebYep team, that of no reply?

So I assume that I won't get one. My own tests have answered the concerns for me, and for the communities reference the change in the latest versions of WebYep urls will have an impact on the search rankings that you may have for your site.

Whilst you won't lose the ranking for any base page in your site eg: yourdomain.com/anypage.php, you will risk losing every link that was generated by the original WebYep menu system when you created a menu item on any base page in which it is used. All external/search engine links leading to an instance of the old 'WEBYEP_DI' will be broken by the new 'DOC_INST' change implemented in WY 1.4.6 update. On a site using many pages based on any base template page, that could mean all those external links just get your potential visitors to the base page not the old link destination.

The impact of this on the overall search ranking is as yet unknown, but I doubt it will go unnoticed, but the impact on visitor impressions is clear, frustration and probably a quick exit.

I asked for a comment and disappointingly (we) didn't get one. So we all are left in the dark. I'll leave the question open in everyone's interest and hope that anyone who cares about their sites search ranking and customers experience takes heed of the risk by applying this particular upgrade. Staying with 1.4.5 seems to be the best option, at present at least.

David

testing1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by testing1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm

What about 301 re-directs? Isn't that the proper way to forward a previous address to the new one?

Reference:
https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=28801
https://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=93633&hl=en

8)

pikefisher

Post by pikefisher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm

testing1

Yes, that is a way to handle the need to redirect from one page to another, but you would only expect to redirect using a permanent '301' redirect when making major changes to a website through a domain change, an upgrade in a structure or some significant need to address improving SEO for some small parts of the site, but this is an issue where the change in url is applied to every page without warning in the process of upgrading the core files of the Webyep, whilst retaining all the original pages and content. I wonder how many users even realise it is happening?

Unfortunately a redirect (301) will effect the ranking during the period in which the new url gets crawled and therefore put at risk a site with a #1 rank for its products and services, probably even taking it out of the first page for some considerable time, impacting on the business, something that is rather unsatisfactory, given you were not expecting this as it is not mentioned in the upgrade package.

It would be helpful to have a view from the Webyep team on this at some point.

David

marcus
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by marcus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello David,

WebYep has been modified in a way that ensures backward compatibility. This means, the old URLs with WEBYEP_DI in the query string will still work, even though the same page is now accessed by DOC_INST.

If this represents a SEO problem, we'd be interested to learn in which way, because we want to make sure to consider every possibility.

Generally, please contact our support, if you need a timely response.

creater

Post by creater » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:03 am

I have listen 301 redirect is very safe to use and it manage your web ranking in the search engine also.

You can change your file name and your pages to moved around...

pharmapre

Post by pharmapre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 pm

New URL structure is introduce a Search engine to submitter site in FireFTP. Then use of Google Tools like Analytics and Webmaster. Use On-page like Title, Description, Keyword Density, Article content and site-map also.

Jazzedean

Post by Jazzedean » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:04 am

Thank you so much for sharing this thread, this will be helpful for understanding the SEO and new URL structure in the latest WY.