Problem with moving a site

General discussions about WebYep
martinm

Problem with moving a site

Post by martinm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello,
we recently updated a clients site, using a separate folder on their webserver as the test site. Now this is finished we need to move this test folder to the root.
When we do, as you would expect, the webyep data disappears.
I looked on the forums and followed the advice to edit the documents.txt file, but this didn't work.
the original documents.txt looked like this
/testaa/vineroutes.php 135

I then changed it to
/vineroutes.php 135

Any ideas where i have gone wrong.

The site address is www.red-white.co.uk
the test site with the content i want to change is www.red-white.co.uk/testaa

cheers
Martin

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Problem with moving a site

Post by johannes » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:44 pm

The problem here is that when you where working on the new site in the subfolder, you where using the old website's webyep-system folder in the root of the website.

That way the old pages and new pages got mixed up in the webyep-system's documents file.

When working on a new version of a website in a subfolder you should give that website its own webyep-system folder. Then, when moving the site online, move the webyep-system folder with it to the root folder and adapt the paths in the documents file (remove the subfolder name).

When I open your site now, it look like all the content is there again - did you solve the problem somehow?

xgraphica

Post by xgraphica » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:04 pm

I have the same problem! - I set up a sub-directory for a client to get the feel of WebYep. We now need to move the site to the root folder.

I did originally create a WebYep system folder for both the root and the subdirectory. I've tried replacing the root WebYep folder with the sub-directory version but lose all the content (it's there in the WebYep folder (data) but not populating the website.

The client isn't very happy about re-uploading 50 images over 4 pages!

Site address is http://www.janrobsonart.co.uk
..and the subdirectory is: http://www.janrobsonart.co.uk/cms_build

Anyone got any hints about how to solve this one?

Cheers

XG

marcus
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by marcus » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:18 pm

xgraphica wrote:I did originally create a WebYep system folder for both the root and the subdirectory. I've tried replacing the root WebYep folder with the sub-directory version but lose all the content (it's there in the WebYep folder (data) but not populating the website.

Anyone got any hints about how to solve this one?

You didn't loose the content, but the association with the right pages will be gone when you move your WebYep installation.
To correct this, you must adjust the paths in /webyep-system/data/documents (i.e. remove the subfolder name).