Restructuring my site.

General discussions about WebYep
julianps

Restructuring my site.

Post by julianps » Wed May 16, 2007 8:52 am

I built a simply pilot site with a demo version of Webyep and the client liked it; thank you.

So I have bought a license and moved the site to it's new home and registered Webyep.

Where once my Webyep page was at root/folder1/folder2/page2.php it is now at root/pageA/pageA.php

This means that Webyep is not parsing the existing data for page2.php to pageA.php

Can I change this in the settings (ie redirect the data) or must I manually copy the data each time I re-organise my site?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this topic.

Jules

youdecide

Post by youdecide » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:06 am

Hi!
Yes I would like to add me to this post. When I design and set up an entire webyep site on a "hidden" area of the server and then move the content to the main server, the content does not follow...this makes it difficult to set up an entire site and just move it fairly easy.

Sincerely,

Tom

julianps

I think we got to the bottom of this.

Post by julianps » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Tom,

The answer lies in the webyep-system/data/documents file.

In this file there should be one entry for each WebYep document on your site, showing the root path (from public_html) plus the all-important documentID number.

Carefully edit the root path of each page ensuring that the new root path corresponds to the appropriate documentID (or else pages and content will get mixed up) then save the file back to the server. WebYep should now serve the appropriate content to the new page location.

If this sounds incomplete do not hesitate to contect ObDev directly at their support address. Both Johannes and Norbert went out of their way to help us with an issue we had (which was our fault, naturally) and I have nothing but respect for their excellent customer service.

Good luck, Jules

youdecide

Post by youdecide » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:13 am

Hi!
Thanks for your thorough answer. I will look into this right away.

Again, thanks,
Tom

allen_a_watson

Re: I think we got to the bottom of this.

Post by allen_a_watson » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:10 am

This looks as if it will solve my problem with file renaming as well; I just need to edit the documents file and change the file name in there from "events_copy" to "events". However, when I try to do so, and save the file, I get an error from the server indicating that I don't have permissions to overwrite that file. If I attempt to change permissions, that is denied as well. What can I do?

julianps wrote:Hi Tom,

In this file there should be one entry for each WebYep document on your site, showing the root path (from public_html) plus the all-important documentID number.

Carefully edit the root path of each page ensuring that the new root path corresponds to the appropriate documentID (or else pages and content will get mixed up) then save the file back to the server. WebYep should now serve the appropriate content to the new page location.

If this sounds incomplete do not hesitate to contect ObDev directly at their support address. Both Johannes and Norbert went out of their way to help us with an issue we had (which was our fault, naturally) and I have nothing but respect for their excellent customer service.

Good luck, Jules

allen_a_watson

Re: I think we got to the bottom of this.

Post by allen_a_watson » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:36 am

The file is owned by "httpd", and only owner/user has write access. I cannot change the owner, either. (Tried; denied.) How can I rewrite this file?

allen_a_watson wrote:This looks as if it will solve my problem with file renaming as well; I just need to edit the documents file and change the file name in there from "events_copy" to "events". However, when I try to do so, and save the file, I get an error from the server indicating that I don't have permissions to overwrite that file. If I attempt to change permissions, that is denied as well. What can I do?

julianps wrote:Hi Tom,

Good luck, Jules

briar

Restructuring website

Post by briar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi Jules / all

Can I offer my own experience to the problem of developing a site on one server (local) and transferring to a hosted server. Johannes offer his guidance to me a while back and on the back of this I discovered the best way to establish the correct path was simple, explained below:

To get the actual final path for the files listed in webyep-system/data/documents file, upload all the development site files to their new server, call the site and couple of pages via the new domain name and then ftp into the site and access the file afterwards.

Open the file in a text editor, the new path on the new server will shown at the bottom of the document file, maybe one or two lines from the pages you tried to access, copy and paste this over the incorrect paths for the development server in the file list above them, sample below

/demosite/pages/template2.php 31 .......(old site)

/demosite/pages/links.php 32 .......(old site)

/livesite/pages/special_offers.php 33 .......(New site file path)

It always works for me when moving data from server to server, particularly useful when setting demos up on a laptop for showing to clients.

It sure beats brooding over thoughts of all the data being lost or in need of reloading. Give it a try.

Regards

David

shaunamcgee2000

Wow! Changing the directory was easy

Post by shaunamcgee2000 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:09 am

David and experts,

I am so happy that it was so easy to update the directory (path) for the webyep data. (Thank you.)

I was able to hire an offsite-gal to help me copy content off an old site onto the new WebYep site. I renamed the directory once the copy was complete. Whew. Nice!

-Shauna

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:16 pm

The file is owned by "httpd", and only owner/user has write access. I cannot change the owner, either. (Tried; denied.) How can I rewrite this file?

To be able to write a file, you need write permission to it. If it's onwed by somebody else and only the owner has write permission, you cannot write to it - so far, so good.

But to remove or create a file, you do not need write permission to the file, but to the directory!

As the directory the "documents" file is located in is pretty sure not owned by "httpd" but by you (the user you are logging in as via FTP), you should be able to replace the file.

Download it, change the local copy, remove the file on the server and re-upload your changed version.