Major problem buying WebYep on line

General discussions about WebYep
GSWebDesign

Major problem buying WebYep on line

Post by GSWebDesign » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:46 pm

I have used WebYep very successfully on many web sites over the last five years, but today when I tried to buy a new license it failed. They (via an outfit called 'Plimus') took my money, but sent no License Key, just an error message: 'Here is your license key: KG Error: no WY hostname given'.

It then took me c. 3 hours to cancel that transaction with Barclays. They confirmed it was going through, but insisted that they could not cancel it until it had gone through. After a lot of pressure, they suddenly said they could 'reverse' it. I said, do you mean that will cancel it? Yes.

A truly Orwellian world.

My question is: what do I do next? Do I risk buying it again, using e.g. PayPal rather than Visa? Or, should I wait? Problem is, my client is waiting (the website is meant to be launched tomorrow).

GSWebDesign

Re: Major problem buying WebYep on line

Post by GSWebDesign » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:18 pm

After six hours, I've now discovered the problem: there's a very serious flaw in the WebYep shopping cart. My second attempt has now worked successfully. What is so worrying is that a minor error in filling in the order form is not picked up on, and the banking transaction is then allowed to proceed ... which suggests that WebYep are happy to make money out of shoppers making this simple mistake. Since they are apparently so disinterested in the problem (I've not had a reply yet for six hours), I shall wait for them to contact me for further details about it - though I suspect Barclays Bank may be having words with them shortly.

I've never come across a web shopping cart that is so insecure.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Major problem buying WebYep on line

Post by johannes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:27 pm

We do our best to answer customer requests within one or two business days. Your request was answered within 24 hours and the issue was resolved.

The bug in the new shopping cart you reported was introduced a view days ago - it made it possible to place an order for a WebYep license without fully entering the hostname for the license (by failing to click the "Set" button) - due to the missing hostname the license then could not be generated.

That bug was fixed within one hour after we became aware of the problem (when processing your customer request).