TinyMCE vs CKeditor?

General discussions about WebYep
PhilBob

TinyMCE vs CKeditor?

Post by PhilBob » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 pm

I was wondering what the pros and cons were between the well established (in WebYep usage) TinyMCE and and the newly supported CKeditor? I notice CKeditor is still having problems ironed out regarding WebYep releases. Is it stable enough to use yet with WebYep?

Phil

Invictus

Re: TinyMCE vs CKeditor?

Post by Invictus » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:37 am

I've used TinyMCE both with WebYep and for other online apps, and while it's fairly easy to use... it sucks. To often it adds extra html to the content and screws up how it displays. Things such as paragraph tags and so on, and even when you go into the html editor view it tried to override the straight html I put in it. Once you get use to the bugs, it's easier to finagle it so that it works properly. Still annoying though since it doesn't actually work properly. They may have fixed some of those issues since I installed it, but I have no clue as I haven't used it again since that time.

PhilBob

Post by PhilBob » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Invictus wrote: They may have fixed some of those issues since I installed it, but I have no clue as I haven't used it again since that time.
Hi - do you use CK editor?

Phil

joecoffee

Post by joecoffee » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I've installed webyep and find that I need to install a wysiwyg editor, but haven't had success with any of the recommended: tinymce, rte or fckeditor. Can't seem to get any to show up in the browser. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, just can't seem to see what it is. I put the folder into the opt folder on the server as directed. Tried each one at a time, removed each before uploading the next. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:15 pm

joecoffee wrote:I put the folder into the opt folder on the server as directed. Tried each one at a time, removed each before uploading the next. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post the URL of the site in question? And please state, which WYSIWYG editor is currently installed.

joecoffee

Post by joecoffee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 pm

The site is:
http://www2.csd.org/csdtestsite/index.html

The link to my webyep test page within the site is linked at the bottom of the home page on the phone numbers text. Just click there. The editor currently installed is tinymce.

Our server is a windows machine and I've read that this is sometimes a problem. Although, I did get webyep to work once. After I tried to install the text editor, I just get the message "The specified module could not be found."

I've given the opt and data folders read/write permission.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Maeve

Post by Maeve » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 am

I have successfully used WebYep on client's sites with TinyMCE, CKeditor and the original FCKeditor. All 3 are standard WYSIWYG editors and work well as intended.

For me the choice of which to use comes down to the requirements of the client. If you wish to limit user's editing ability to just editing plain text with very basic styling such as bold, italics etc then I would recomend TinyCME with customised (simplified) tool panel. Alternatively you could use WebYep without any WYSIWYG installed, although it can look slightly less appealing from a client's front-end perspective.

I use the new CKeditor when a client requires more flexibility of formatting, espeicially if they require the ability to upload and manage images, flash files, videos and so on, on thier own server. This is because CKeditor integrates with the CKfinder, allowing user to upload files from their PC to server to use on their website. Without CKfinder (or using either of the older 2 editors) there is limited 'browse server' control meaning that the user is limited in how they manage images and other assets on their site.

Here's a screenshot of how a recent client's site would look to them when they edit it. This uses CKeditor and has CKfinder integrated so that they can easily manage images.

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:43 pm

Thanks Maeve for sharing your experience!

Please note that currently to use CKFinder you need to set up a separate authentication mechanism. The WebYep login mechanism can not be used to authenticate for the image/file upload of CKFinder.