Formatted Copy & Paste

General discussions about WebYep
bcbounders

Formatted Copy & Paste

Post by bcbounders » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:02 am

Hi,

I am looking at WebYep as a possible solution for allowing a customer to maintain the content on a couple of specific pages on their website (that I am designing and building for them). Currently, they already create the content that they want to put on the website in Microsoft Word. If I include one of the Rich Text formatting tools, will they be able to copy-and-paste formatted text from their Word document into the appropriate fields on a WebYep-managed page? Are there limits to what formatting will carry over?

If this isn't possible, does anyone have any other ideas? I'd like to try and keep the user's workflow the same, while allowing them to easily copy-and-paste the entirety of their existing document somewhere where it can be viewed on the web.

Thanks!

- John

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Formatted Copy & Paste

Post by johannes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 pm

Copying and pasting formatted text from Word into any of the supported WYSIWYG editors is usually not advisable.

It should work, but often it doesn't - mainly because the HTML code generated by Word is, well, unfavorably.

But it also is not advisable because even if it works, it will most likely ruin the look of the page and lead to an inconsistent page layout.

It's therefore usually the best to format the content directly in the WebYep editor window.

bcbounders

Re: Formatted Copy & Paste

Post by bcbounders » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Johannes,

Thanks. That's what I figured, but thought I would ask anyway. I'll begin the process of getting the client used to the idea that they won't be able to just cut-and-paste the whole document in... for the very reasons you mention.

Thanks!