Moved Server - Rich Text Broken

General discussions about WebYep
jenwoglom

Moved Server - Rich Text Broken

Post by jenwoglom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

I've recently moved my client to a new server and everything worked great, except that none of the rich text transfered. The images and long and short text on the same page populated fine and the data files for the rich text are still in tact in the data folder, but they are not populating to the website.

Example (the top image and text in it is all done through webyep, but the main text of the site is blank):
URL of new site: http://cargotrailersales.com/belmontopenlandscape.php
URL of old wite: http://204.200.213.49/belmontopenlandscape.php

Any thoughts? There are a lot of pages with rich text so I would hate to have to redo all of them.

jenwoglom

Re: Moved Server - Rich Text Broken

Post by jenwoglom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Update: I've copied and pasted the content onto the new site in the Rich Text fields, but would still like to know what happened to prevent it from happening in the future.

Thanks!

Maeve

Post by Maeve » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:05 am

Hi jenwoglom,

The data files in some versions of WebYep are not compatible to later versions. When you migrated to new server did you install the same version of the webyep systems folder?

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Post by johannes » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:51 pm

jenwoglom wrote:Update: I've copied and pasted the content onto the new site in the Rich Text fields, but would still like to know what happened to prevent it from happening in the future.

Unfortunately it's hard to say what happened if the problem cannot be observed any more.

One thing that sometimes causes this is, when the FTP application used to down/upload the data folder's content is not set to "binary" mode. It then tries to "convert" the transferred data, if it thinks it is text - which it sometimes does for some WebYep data files.

But this "conversion" (translation of line endings) damages the data files.

So always make sure (not only for WebYep data) your FTP client app is set to "binary" mode.