Image window resizes incorrectly

General discussions about WebYep
thatkeith

Image window resizes incorrectly

Post by thatkeith » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 pm

I have a page with image elements set so they act as thumbnails, popping open the original uploaded image in a new window, which is resized to the image automatically.

However, if the image happens to be larger than the user's screen the window is still resized to the image size, making it larger than the screen dimensions and putting the right and/or bottom edges out of reach. As well as not being easily resizable, there is no way to scroll the image to see it all. This is a real problem!

I know people should try to upload presized images, but one of the joys of using WebYep is to be able to make sites that essentially clueless people can maintain! This is something that WebYep should manage better:

1) Windows shouldn't be resized to be larger than the user's screen dimensions.
To me, this seems to be a bit of a 'logic bug' in the setupwindow() JavaScript.

2) There should be a 'scale image' feature that can be set, so that overly-large images are scaled to the available width or height.
I don't mean by processing the uploaded images to a predefined maximum size, although that would be nifty! I mean simply setting an appropriate (calculated) pixel width/height (or setting width or height to 100%) in the img tag so the image is shown scaled in the browser.

I love WebYep. I'm not considering switching, even though this is a specific problem with my current project. (And no, I really don't think the site owners can handle even a resizing droplet app without getting worried!) I'm reporting this in the hope that this can be addressed in some way in a future WebYep release. Soon, please?

Happy New Year!

Keith

johannes
Objective Development
Objective Development

Re: Image window resizes incorrectly

Post by johannes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Thank you for your suggestions!

The current version of WebYep (1.4.4) already contains the functionality of resizing the uploaded image. It's just not available via the Dreamweaver Extension and the RapidWeaver Plugin.

The PHP-Code Fragment for the Image Element is:

Code: Select all

webyep_image(FieldName, IsGlobal, HTML_Attributes, URL, TargetFrame, ImageWidth, ImageHeight, UsesThumbNail, ThumbWidth, ThumbHeight)

So you can set both, the image's width and height and the thumbnails width/height.